Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Yeah, that happens.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

All the worrying we did about our indoor plumbing freezing-- never even occurred to me that the sewer line could freeze and rupture.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Ugh.  Got a smell coming back from the toilet itself, or do you notice it out in the yard?

derspiess

No smell at all in the house, thank God.  The drain in the basement sometimes backs up a little if I'm doing a load of laundry or if someone takes a shower, but for some reason it doesn't smell too bad.  Backyard is a different story.  It's not strong, but if you're in the right spot something stinks. 

Theoretically, it could be tree roots that caused the rupture, as there is a huge tree in that general area where the sewer line runs.  But given that the problem started when we had our sub-zero temps, I have to think the freeze had something to do with it.  I hope so, anyway.  Insurance won't cover root damage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Hell, if it started with the sub-zero temps, you could just have some ice blockage that's backing stuff up at the frost level;  it could disappear come the spring thaw.  Do you do a monthly treatment or anything?

derspiess

I haven't done anything to it, ever.  I suppose there still could be a chunk of ice in there.  Roto-rooter should be able to figure it out tomorrow.

CountDeMoney

My parents do a treatment once a month for their septic;  apparently it's supposed to help with break-up/break-down of material, prevents blockage, etc.  You flush it and don't use the toilets for 5 hours or something.  Maybe talk to the Roto-Rooter guy about options, he's the professional.

There was a kid who rode our bus in elementary school whose Dad was a Roto-Rooter guy, always had the van in the driveway.  The other kids were merciless with that poor kid.  Probably the most stable income of any family in school, though.  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2015, 10:57:06 AM
My parents do a treatment once a month for their septic;  apparently it's supposed to help with break-up/break-down of material, prevents blockage, etc.  You flush it and don't use the toilets for 5 hours or something.  Maybe talk to the Roto-Rooter guy about options, he's the professional.

Oh, we don't use a septic tank-- we're plugged into the city sewage system.  We almost bought a house that had a septic tank, but that was one of the strikes against it because anything that requires diligent maintenance on our part is going to be an issue for us eventually.

QuoteThere was a kid who rode our bus in elementary school whose Dad was a Roto-Rooter guy, always had the van in the driveway.  The other kids were merciless with that poor kid.  Probably the most stable income of any family in school, though.  :lol:

Not the most glamorous occupation, but plumbing sure does pay well.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Scorpion temps were better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

SUB-ZERO NOW... PLAIN ZERO!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Bunch of damned nerds.

KRonn

Boston officially broke the all time record snowfall with over 108 inches. Previous record of 107+ inches. We got a bit of snow late Sunday and overnight, mostly Boston and north into Maine, NH, Vermont, and it was enough.  :yeah:  Hey, we were so damn close so might as well break the record. Where I am we got barely a dusting of snow.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on March 16, 2015, 07:57:01 AM
Boston officially broke the all time record snowfall with over 108 inches. Previous record of 107+ inches. We got a bit of snow late Sunday and overnight, mostly Boston and north into Maine, NH, Vermont, and it was enough.  :yeah:  Hey, we were so damn close so might as well break the record. Where I am we got barely a dusting of snow.

Well I guess congratulations are in order. :cheers:

Kronn, since shovelling all of it didn't kill you, have you considered building a workout programme to sell based on it, ready for next winter?  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Hehe, I did get quite a workout at times even though I used my new snow blower for most of the clearing of driveway and the heaviest work. Other stuff still required shoveling to clear various areas, also removing snow from the roof with a snow roof rake while trudging through thigh deep snow gave me a helluva workout!  I was wishing I was in better shape as I was drenched in sweat in frigid temps, though that's just a tough workout handling the 16 ft roof rake up over your head. I even lost weight for a time even though I'm not overweight.