News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2015, 09:00:21 AM
The weather this weekend was the coldest I can remember - wind chill at -40 on Sunday. At that temp, C and F are the same.  :lol:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-flights-cancelled-as-extreme-cold-weather-warning-remains-in-effect-1.2237077
there are floods at two seperate subway stations because of the cold
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2015, 09:50:44 AM
Seriously, I don't mind high temps until they hit about 100 F.  I can learn to tolerate 110F, I think, and if not there's always air conditioning. :)

Well do you want months and months of 100F+ every year or do you want a few days of shit winter every once in a while?

One sense in which the desert beats the hell out of the rest of the South, however, is that at least it gets cold at night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 09:53:01 AM
Well do you want months and months of 100F+ every year or do you want a few days of shit winter every once in a while?
Months and months of 100F+, please.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 09:21:55 AM
What is the normal temp?  Does this sort of super-freezing thing happen very often?

It is quite rare. The average for mid-February range from a high of 0 C to a low of -6 C.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28179/2/Toronto-Ontario-Canada
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

What is the normal temp?  Does this sort of super-freezing thing happen very often?

In Toronto? Not really, it's has weather like New York city.

In Montreal? Business as Usual.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2015, 09:57:23 AM
Months and months of 100F+, please.

Huh.  If you are going to stay inside all the time relying on artificial temperature control why does it matter whether it is AC or the heater?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2015, 09:58:09 AM

It is quite rare. The average for mid-February range from a high of 0 C to a low of -6 C.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28179/2/Toronto-Ontario-Canada

That's just a bad week in Texas.  No biggie at all...I mean presuming no snow.

Caliga

Because if it has to be one extreme or the other when I go outside, I much prefer the heat?  I hate being cold.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I agree with Cal. Summers in Palm Springs were better than winters in Mass
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2015, 09:41:23 AM
I really regret not talking to that recruiter who called me about a job in Scottsdale a few months ago. :weep:

Call the cunt up.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

We are not comparing winters in Mass with Summers in Palm Springs.  We are comparing a far wimpier winter in Kentucky with a desert craphole with little to redeem it.

CountDeMoney

One sense in which the desert beats the hell out of the rest of the South, however, is that at least it gets cold at night.

Yeah, the only thing worse than 85 degrees and 85% humidity at 2 in the afternoon is when it's 2 in the morning.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 10:10:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

We are not comparing winters in Mass with Summers in Palm Springs.  We are comparing a far wimpier winter in Kentucky with a desert craphole with little to redeem it.

Well does Kentucky have anything to redeem it? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 10:13:20 AM

Yeah, the only thing worse than 85 degrees and 85% humidity at 2 in the afternoon is when it's 2 in the morning.

No shit.  Hate getting to the office at 7:30 in the morning already covered in sweat.  That sucks.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 10:15:10 AM
Well does Kentucky have anything to redeem it? :hmm:

Um...er....well you got me there.

Cal seems to like it though.  Maybe it has character.