News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Holy crap has it been warm these last couple days.  Is winter over already or is this the winter fake out Texas weather sometimes pulls?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 10:39:23 AM
Holy crap has it been warm these last couple days.  Is winter over already or is this the winter fake out Texas weather sometimes pulls?

:mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 10:39:23 AM
Yeah, it warmed up here, nearly into the mid 20s F.   ;)

KRonn

I borrowed my neighbor's snow rake. I wanted to clear some snow off my roof mainly because of the ice dams in the gutters, to try and minimize the snow melt. The actual snow depth on the roof wasn't a problem. What a tough job that was, with the twenty foot long rake over head, working it with my arms. All the while wading through snow in my yard as high as my waist, but usually it was hard packed under so I only sank to my knees or thighs. What a workout that was though! My clothes were drenched with sweat like I'd run a  few miles.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on February 11, 2015, 02:51:01 PM
I borrowed my neighbor's snow rake. I wanted to clear some snow off my roof mainly because of the ice dams in the gutters, to try and minimize the snow melt. The actual snow depth on the roof wasn't a problem. What a tough job that was, with the twenty foot long rake over head, working it with my arms. All the while wading through snow in my yard as high as my waist, but usually it was hard packed under so I only sank to my knees or thighs. What a workout that was though! My clothes were drenched with sweat like I'd run a  few miles.

Good grief that sounds like something from a polar expedition.

Kronn, hang in there.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Meanwhile, in Kentucky, it was 55 and sunny when I got home last night and I did some light spring prep work with my trees without a jacket. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2015, 02:54:00 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 11, 2015, 02:51:01 PM

Good grief that sounds like something from a polar expedition.

Kronn, hang in there.  :)

It was a bit hilarious wading through such deep snow, using a shovel for balance and pulling myself along, but I actually don't mind that much about the snow, not yet anyway, and we're due for another possibly large storm this weekend. The thing I worry about is the house gutters all iced up. I've never had problems before but it's rare that I've seen the gutters so iced up, which could lead to leaking into the house if the water seeps under the roof, or could damage the gutters. It is crazy though, scenes from the ice age with all these glaciers around.

Another big issue is that the roads are so narrow, residential and smaller roads especially. Can't see around corners due to the snow banks so have to edge out carefully. Pulling onto main roads and highways is tricky and dangerous. Highways are missing the breakdown lanes.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2015, 07:42:51 AM
Meanwhile, in Kentucky, it was 55 and sunny when I got home last night and I did some light spring prep work with my trees without a jacket. :cool:
My punishment for this post was that when I went to leave for work I discovered it was suddenly cold and snowing.  SORRY ALLFATHER  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2015, 09:54:12 AM
My punishment for this post was that when I went to leave for work I discovered it was suddenly cold and snowing.  SORRY ALLFATHER  :(

You should consider your folly on the tree of woe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2015, 09:54:12 AM

That's the problem with living in such a fickle southern climate. You should move back to here where it's more "interesting".     ;)

Caliga

Oh, it's pretty interesting here too.  A few years ago, on January 31st, we had a day where it started off in the high 30s and just kept getting warmer and warmer.  Meanwhile they issued a tornado warning and work sent me home.  When I got home I went outside to look at the sky and happened to notice my outside thermometer read 90 F. :wacko:

Then the front came through, and there was a tornado swarm, the temperature plummeted, and it snowed overnight and dropped down into the teens. :bleeding:

KRonn

Tornadoes scare me. I hope you never have to go through one of those.

lustindarkness

Tornadoes are scary, we had a small one jump over us (valley between two small ridges) a few years ago, no fun.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on February 12, 2015, 02:08:55 PM
Tornadoes scare me. I hope you never have to go through one of those.
I've seen one in person when I was in Texas.  I've never seen one here, but there was a powerful one that hit southern Indiana on the day I was talking about earlier.  A friend of mine's house came within about 50 yards of being hit.  He filmed it and got on CNN with his footage. :cool:

PDH

It has been in the 50s (excepting a couple of days) here for the last two weeks.  That is very un-Laramie weather.  I expect winter to catch up soon and March and April will be horrible.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM