Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 12:23:13 PM
It was a nice spring like day yesterday.  After some morning showers it should be the same this afternoon. 

Ack. Spring in Vancouver looks pretty chilly!

You are looking at today's temperature.  I would guess it is about 9 C right now.  Yesterday we got up to 14 C.  That is a very nice spring time temp, especially for January  ;)

I was looking at the predictions for the week. I wouldn't consider 14C to be warm weather in Spring. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on January 27, 2015, 12:47:21 PM
Yep, you're missing out on some amazing storm scenery! Nantucket is being clobbered, hurricane force winds, storm tides, along with the snow.

No kidding I'm missing out; power's out and there's no webcams operating on the island at the moment. 

QuoteNantucket could be in for a lengthy power outage today after a substation froze over and killed power across the island amid a powerful storm that has dumped more than two feet of snow on parts of eastern Massachusetts.

Virtually all of National Grid's 12,800 customers on Nantucket – including the island's hospital and storm shelters – are now without power, utility officials said today.

Utility workers are trying to start back-up generation sources to get electricity to the hospital and other key facilities on the island.

But Marcy Reed, president of National Grid in Massachusetts, couldn't give a timeline on when power to the hospital and shelters will be restored. She also warned that it will likely "take a long time" before power in general is restored on Nantucket.

"It will be lengthy," she said of the outages, without giving specific time estimates.

Nantucket appears to be among the hardest hit communities in Massachusetts, in terms of power outages, as the current blizzard continues to pound the area and drop record amounts of snow on communities.

As of about 9:50 a.m., National Grid and NStar, the state's two largest electric utilities, reported that a total of 30,638 customers were without power in the region. That number has been steadily creeping up since early this morning, but it's still small compared to the two utilities' combined customer base of 2.4 million customers.

"Our system has held up," said Reed during a conference call with members of the media this morning.

NStar is reporting that the South Shore and Cape communities are suffering the most within its coverage area. About 2,300 customers in Provincetown have lost power, while 2,065 customers have lost electricity in Wareham.

On Nantucket, ocean "salt sprays" iced over key equipment at a substation near the island's harbor, Reed said.

National Grid must first de-ice the substation, but even then it has to wait until all lines on the island are inspected and verified that they're OK for use, before power is switched back on, Reed said. "If we energize it [with line and circuit problems], we could have a hazardous situation," she said.

The Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth could be offline for days after a storm-related outage shut down two of the major lines carrying electricity from the generating facility.

Officials said the problem is similar to one that hit during a 2013 blizzard, and poses no safety threat. The lines failed about 4 a.m., at a time when Pilgrim's output had already been reduced to 20 percent because of storm-related conditions on the electrical grid.

"All safety systems worked as designed and plant conditions are currently stable," said plant spokeswoman Lauren Burm. "There's no threat to the safety of plant workers or the public."

She said it could be days before Pilgrim resumes normal operations, but that the plant would be able to stay offline for much longer than that without safety concerns.

Lacey Girard, a spokeswoman for ISO New England, which manages the region's power grid, said the overall power supply is functioning normally. "Load is running under forecast today, most likely because many business and schools across New England are closed, which reduces demand on the system," she said.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 12:53:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 12:23:13 PM
It was a nice spring like day yesterday.  After some morning showers it should be the same this afternoon. 

Ack. Spring in Vancouver looks pretty chilly!

You are looking at today's temperature.  I would guess it is about 9 C right now.  Yesterday we got up to 14 C.  That is a very nice spring time temp, especially for January  ;)

I was looking at the predictions for the week. I wouldn't consider 14C to be warm weather in Spring. :P

:huh:

I didn't say it was warm weather in spring.  I said it was nice spring weather.  At the risk of being insulting, if you hadn't noticed, it is not yet Spring.

If I was living where you are I suppose I would want to lash out at anyone not also suffering.

garbon

When I think about "nice spring weather" I think about it being warm. Clearly your mileage varies. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Nice early spring-like* weather here last couple of days.

* is that specific enough?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 01:41:00 PM
When I think about "nice spring weather" I think about it being warm. Clearly your mileage varies. ;)

For sure.  Here nice spring days mean it isn't winter weather anymore and, in any place other than Languish, that context would not be lost in a post being made in January.  ;)

KRonn

I just finished clearing my driveway with my new snow blower, first time using it, and it was tough work with so much snow. Glad to have the new, more powerful machine. We got at least two feet of snow, as all the news reports of surrounding areas are in the 24 to over 30 inch range. When I first went out the snow was up over my knees in the drifts outside my door; I had to use the shovel to help clear a path to the shed where my snow blower is.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 04:01:10 PM

For sure.  Here nice spring days mean it isn't winter weather anymore and, in any place other than Languish, that context would not be lost in a post being made in January.  ;)

I think that in a good many places, people would lament 14C as cold weather. ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 04:17:56 PM

In the middle of winter?  Too bad you don't currently live in one of those places  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on January 27, 2015, 04:11:46 PM
I just finished clearing my driveway with my new snow blower, first time using it, and it was tough work with so much snow. Glad to have the new, more powerful machine. We got at least two feet of snow, as all the news reports of surrounding areas are in the 24 to over 30 inch range. When I first went out the snow was up over my knees in the drifts outside my door; I had to use the shovel to help clear a path to the shed where my snow blower is.

According to Garbo you should be thankful you don't live somewhere cold like Vancouver.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 04:21:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 04:17:56 PM

In the middle of winter?  Too bad you don't currently live in one of those places  :P

Oh yes definitely on both counts. Of course, I was largely talking about spring weather which it was spring-like weather that I think we were discussing.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 04:22:47 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 27, 2015, 04:11:46 PM

According to Garbo you should be thankful you don't live somewhere cold like Vancouver.

:huh:

His weather would just be much colder.  Sure would it likely be nicer in Mass if it was 50 degree temps? Sure. Doesn't really make that sound like great spring like weather though. :hmm:

crazy canuck

Garbo, I think what you are trying to say is that there are parts of the world that neither experience Winter or Spring weather.  I am talking about Spring weather that we are experiencing in Winter.  It is as much a comment about climate change as anything but that gets lost in your silly "I know a place warmer than where you live" antics.

garbon

Weird since you were doing the antics of boasting about your how great your weather was.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2015, 04:37:59 PM
Weird since you were doing the antics of boasting about your how great your weather was.

Compared to places that actually have a season called Winter.  Yes.  But again, context is lost with you.