Yep 42 and raining here at moment.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: katmai on December 31, 2014, 07:48:12 PM
Yep 42 and raining here at moment.
In Fairbanks for work where currently -19f/-28c Brrrr

Eddie Teach

One day Fairbanks residents will pretend their city was named for Douglas Fairbanks, as befits the Hollywood of the North.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

QuoteWonkblog
Washington Post
The American love of lawsuits is forcing cities to ban sledding, ruin winter

Cities, evidently, must have a sledding policy, which never occurred to me until I read this curious Associated Press story about the trend of sledding injuries, sledding lawsuits, and subsequent municipal sledding bans:

No one tracks how many cities have banned or limited sledding, but the list grows every year. One of the latest is in Dubuque, Iowa, where the City Council is moving ahead with a plan to ban sledding in all but two of its 50 parks....

In meetings leading up to the ban, Dubuque council members lamented the move but said it was the only responsible choice given liability concerns and demands from the city's insurance carrier. They pointed to judgments in sledding lawsuits in the past decade, such as a $2 million judgment against Omaha, Nebraska, after a 5-year-old girl was paralyzed when she hit a tree and a $2.75 million payment when a man in Sioux City, Iowa, slid into a sign and injured his spinal cord.

The AP cites bans or restrictions in communities in Iowa, New Jersey, Nebraska and Indiana, as well as one town in Illinois that went so far in 2013 as to remove a 20-foot junk mound where families had taken to having fun. Omaha tried a test ban, only to conclude that people would ignore it anyway. It's understandable that cities here fear lawsuits but unfortunate that they have to. The injuries mentioned above are terrible and sad, but they're also incredibly rare (the Omaha suit largely turned on a dispute over how much blame to apportion in the accident, between the city and the parents.)

How pervasive is the actual problem? Research says that about 20,000 people 19 or younger are treated for sledding-related injuries in emergency rooms each year (boys more than girls, 10-to-14-year-olds more than other ages). Only about 4 percent of those cases require hospitalization. No data, though, on how many of them involve litigious people who want to spoil sledding for the rest of us.

Syt

:bleeding:

We didn't get many sledding winters when I was a kid, but our favorite hill was in a small forest (we pretended we were riding speeder bikes on Endor :blush: ), and the end was the curve in a path around a frozen pond, with the goal to make it onto the pond with as big a jump as possible.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

This is why white people can't have nice things.  :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

-29f/-33c today
Take that PDH!

PDH

Quote from: katmai on January 05, 2015, 02:51:18 PM
-29f/-33c today
Take that PDH!

It was 35 here today!

Now it is mud everywhere...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

A snow panic is underway in Ohio. Stores are empty of milk and bread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 05, 2015, 06:44:08 PM
A snow panic is underway in Ohio. Stores are empty of milk and bread.
:nelson: No snow forecast for here.  Of course, I have to be in Chicago most of the rest of this week.  YAY, I love below zero temperatures! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

Temps in the teens here in Mass this morning/overnight, or around -10 Celsius. Going to be even colder, around zero degrees F later in the week but a bit "warmer" during the day.

Edit: I was out at lunchtime and it was still in the upper teens. So not even a warmup into the mid 20s today. Some snow flurries.

CountDeMoney

SNOW DAY!!!

I love snow days.  That way, I don't have to feel guilty about being unemployed for the day, and just take the off from my full-time gig of anxiety and penniless despair.  And take the Jeep out to an empty field for a bit.

Caliga

GAAAAAAAAAAAH!   Fucking Chicago!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points