News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Brazen on December 03, 2014, 07:24:20 AM
It's getting as low as 3C/38F overnight. Had to break out the winter coat.

Wussy.

mongers

Yesterday afternoon/evening was this year's first 'hat, gloves and coat' day; it's offical Winter is here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

What's an ice storm? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

It's getting as low as 3C/38F overnight. Had to break out the winter coat. My old leather gloves were so knackered I had to put them on and use Nikwax like hand-cream.

Pfft. It gets down to -7C/19F here overnight, and November/December is usually much warmer than January/February here. Still, had to take out my winter hat:

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 10:07:26 AM

It's when whether conditions conspire to coat everything with a thick layer of ice - very destructive, as ice is heavy, so the accumulation brings power lines, trees, etc. crashing down. And of course makes travel pretty difficult.

We had a famous one in Toronto last year - with very destructive results.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/22/toronto-ice-storm-2013-photos-from-the-gtas-winter-nightmare/

Wierdly pretty though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

I'd rather deal with 1' of snow than 1" of ice.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2014, 10:19:34 AM
It's getting as low as 3C/38F overnight. Had to break out the winter coat. My old leather gloves were so knackered I had to put them on and use Nikwax like hand-cream.

Pfft. It gets down to -7C/19F here overnight, and November/December is usually much warmer than January/February here. Still, had to take out my winter hat:

They don't have those in my size, so I had to go with an extra insulated wool beanie.  :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:22:05 AM

Absolutely - or even more. 1' of snow is easy to remove. Not so 1" of ice.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 10:07:26 AM

It's when whether conditions conspire to coat everything with a thick layer of ice - very destructive, as ice is heavy, so the accumulation brings power lines, trees, etc. crashing down. And of course makes travel pretty difficult.

We had a famous one in Toronto last year - with very destructive results.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/22/toronto-ice-storm-2013-photos-from-the-gtas-winter-nightmare/

Wierdly pretty though.
Ya, that storm was a bitch. horrible timing too.

I still remember the Quebec one from like 97 because we went on a field trip there the next year and you could still see broken tree limbs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

If some of the global warming studies are to be believed, ice storms like that may become a frequent occurance in Britain/Europe once the Atlantic conveyer cools down due to too much melted ice being released into the ocean.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2014, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:22:05 AM

Absolutely - or even more. 1' of snow is easy to remove. Not so 1" of ice.

Just need to chip at it a little...

Ed Anger

That car has a boner
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I wonder how much the popular depiction of ghosts was due to people seeing ice formations like those.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

If Casper was the Friendly Ghost, where did they bury Casper the Friendly Dead Kid?