Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 16, 2014, 08:15:25 PM
That is later tonight.

:cool:

Here a predicted consistent 94-96% humidity for the next few days, strangle I've not felt uncomfortable*.  :hmm:

edit:
Oh, that'll be the on and off, drizzle, light rain, fog and mist.  :bowler:

edit:
*And the 9C temperatures.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 16, 2014, 09:01:25 PM
While I was grilling the steaks it was raining cats and dogs,  could barely get the grill to temp with all that cold rain washing over it.   :mad:

Now it will get fucking cold the next few days.   :)

Mad dogs and Englishmen?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Snowing like a mofo here. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Mild and wet, which is the default setting for British weather.

Ed Anger

Blerg. 5 inches. School out. Kids rampaging.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Supposed to drop to the 20s tonight, nice and biting.  Thanks, Ed.

Barrister

Beautiful winter weather today.  Sunny, high of -4c.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2014, 09:55:59 AM

My day was manageable.  Wife was determined to get to work close to her normal time so I told her to go ahead and take Lola to pre-school (which never ever closes unless there's a foot of snow). 

Tommy's elementary school had a 2 hour delay and then decided to close at the last minute, so I worked from home.  I was actually able to get some work done and he behaved himself, though he got a little bored at times.  With both kids home I wouldn't have gotten anything done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2014, 09:55:59 AM

That's what she said.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

They were saying earlier that there could get up to 90 inches of snow in Buffalo area and that some places already had 60 inches. I can't even imagine / initially assumed it must be a typo!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

No snow and in 30's here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on November 19, 2014, 01:42:49 AM
No snow and in 30's here.

One thing I like about this time of year...when out running errands/shopping, one doesn't have to worry about making sure the grocery trip (which includes the refridgeratables) is last.  :P

Admiral Yi

Got some freezing rain last night. :weep:

The one thing I absolutely detest about winter is freezing rain.

CountDeMoney

QuoteAfter temperatures spike well into the 60s, if not near 70 on Monday along the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast I-95 corridor, a significant cold front sweeps through on Tuesday. This front sets the stage for a possible coastal storm on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, which could bring substantial rain and/or snow.

Wednesday's possible storm – which has a chance to develop into a legitimate Nor'easter – would form along the cold front stalled off the Southeast coast. The exact track of the storm will determine whether its effects are significant or not.

We should stress uncertainty in the forecast is high, and forecast confidence is low.

Current model simulations suggest 3 possible scenarios:

1) The storm is more out to sea, with just a glancing blow for the East Coast Wednesday (Canadian model, GFS parallel model, and GFS ensemble mean) – Low impact

2) The storm moves up the coast just offshore, with snow for coastal areas and sharp cutoff to precipitation farther inland (GFS operational model, European ensemble mean) – Moderate impact

3) The storm hugs the coast, with heavy coastal rain and strong winds, and heavy inland snow (European operational model) – High impact

Scenarios 2 and, especially, 3 would pose major headaches for travelers on the busiest travel day of the year from Florida to New England. It is too soon to say which of these three scenarios is most likely.

Wes Junker, Capital Weather Gang's winter weather expert, weighs in for some specifics with respect to Washington, D.C.'s forecast:

The models are converging towards a solution offering a developing storm along the North Carolina coast on Wednesday.

Today's GFS model has shifted west with its low position joining recent runs of the operational European model in spreading precipitation across the area Wednesday. About half the European model's larger group of simulations also were predicting precipitation sometime on Wednesday or Wednesday night. Some indicate that there could be accumulating snow for Washington, D.C.'s western suburbs.

If the storm track is perfect and precipitation heavy enough, even the immediate D.C. area could get accumulating snow.

Surface temperatures on both the European and GFS are marginal for snow as they keep the temperatures above freezing during the bulk of the precipitation. It's too early to make any real call about the storm as the surface temperature forecasts this far in advance of a storm are tricky.

If you are going to be traveling Wednesday pay close attention to the forecasts over the next couple of days.

The storm should be a fast mover, quickly exiting the Mid-Atlantic Wednesday night, and New England by early Thanksgiving day.

You may see forecasts and maps for snow amounts flying around the internet, but it is way too early to speculate about specifics given the uncertainty in the storm track.

A second, much weaker, disturbance could swing through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast on Thanksgiving itself with scattered snow showers and/or flurries.