News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The sun has only shone for 17 hours total in this January. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

My WV buddy's kids have gone to school for like 3 or 4 days since Christmas break.  Between the snow, cold temps and water contamination they've had one kick-ass month. 

Of course, they'll have to make a lot of that up in June...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Total madness here. We've gotten an inch or two of snow. After lunch someone tried to go home, spent 2 hours going a mile or two, and then turned around to return to the office. 4 hours round trip.

My brother tried to go home but the traffic was so bad he checked into a hotel for the night.

I'm hanging at the office . Hopefully snowmeggedon will be over by the time I leave.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 05:06:50 PM
Total madness here. We've gotten an inch or two of snow. After lunch someone tried to go home, spent 2 hours going a mile or two, and then turned around to return to the office. 4 hours round trip.

My brother tried to go home but the traffic was so bad he checked into a hotel for the night.

I'm hanging at the office . Hopefully snowmeggedon will be over by the time I leave.

:nelson:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I'm hearing tales of Atlanta kids spending the night at their school.  My boss in Bama walked 4 miles in the snow to get to his wife's place of work and they're going to spend the night there.  Traffic is piled up & people are just leaving their cars and walking home or wherever.  Uh, wow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2014, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 05:06:50 PM

:nelson:
^2

alfred russel

A part of me thinks this is absolutely hilarious.

A part of me thinks it is hilarious that Gary Bettman put an NHL team here.

A part of me is dreading the drive home. I also am low on gas, so I might not make it, which would make me one of the idiots I normally laugh at.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 05:23:50 PM
A part of me thinks this is absolutely hilarious.

A part of me thinks it is hilarious that Gary Bettman put an NHL team here.

A part of me is dreading the drive home. I also am low on gas, so I might not make it, which would make me one of the idiots I normally laugh at.

Sorry, it's just the inner Canadian can't wrap my head around that kind of panic over :o Two inches of snow! :o

But since it obvioujsly is... keep safe.  Maybe follow your brother's lead and check into a hotel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

I used to live up north, so I'm with you.

All the hotels seem to be booked up. There are people planning on spending the night in the office.

There is a train stop about half a mile from the office, and it has a stop 2-3 miles from where I live. If the traffic doesn't clear up, that is how I will get home.

lustindarkness

My commute took me almost 7 hours, that is because I pulled or pushed over 2 dozen vehicles up the frozen hills, and rescued my nephew from school. Crazy stuff.  Too many accidents and cars in ditches to count. One hill had three jack knifed 18 wheelers. On call with my towns PD in case they need transportation.

Sorry to tell you'all, but Alabama is closed.  :nelson:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Capetan Mihali

Goodness gracious, what a mess.

And to all the Hamilcar-style chucklers, it's pretty obvious that the level of disruption snowfall causes is inversely proportional to the amount of resources/experience/planning regarding snow removal.  Atlanta and Alabama (and DC and Texas) don't have very large amounts of that, for a variety of reasons.  Hence, chaos -- for structural reasons, not because the people are just dumbasses (though I guess they may be independently).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 28, 2014, 10:06:54 PM
Goodness gracious, what a mess.

And to all the Hamilcar-style chucklers, it's pretty obvious that the level of disruption snowfall causes is inversely proportional to the amount of resources/experience/planning regarding snow removal.  Atlanta and Alabama (and DC and Texas) don't have very large amounts of that, for a variety of reasons.  Hence, chaos -- for structural reasons, not because the people are just dumbasses (though I guess they may be independently).

Canadian smug cannot be reasoned with.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 28, 2014, 10:00:31 PM
My commute took me almost 7 hours, that is because I pulled or pushed over 2 dozen vehicles up the frozen hills, and rescued my nephew from school. Crazy stuff.  Too many accidents and cars in ditches to count. One hill had three jack knifed 18 wheelers. On call with my towns PD in case they need transportation.

Sorry to tell you'all, but Alabama is closed.  :nelson:

You are a good man lusti.  :thumbsup:

katmai

Southerners are stoopid!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son