Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It's just cold. Relax, put a tuque on.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2014, 11:59:17 PM
Shows what you know. Also, Arizona has that horrid humid period in summer.

Uhhh, no they don't...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

I thought Phoenix gets that Summer Monsoon with more humidity (60-70%) in July and August...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Southern Arizona does have a Monsoon season with a lot more rain (more being relative of course) but the humidity doesn't generally become any kind of problem, even in the monsoon season. It is still hot and dry, there are just more thunderstorms and rain than you would expect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2014, 12:01:29 PM
Seems like a lot of places are closing because of cold.  Not snow/ice, but cold.  First time I can remember that happening.

CNN has been calling this weather "Nor'Easter 2014." It's not a Nor'Easter unless the weather front comes from the north east you nimrods. :frusty:

I've heard it a few times before.  I'm guessing it's happening more often because businesses or schools don't want employees/kids getting stuck somewhere in transit & freezing to death.  Bad press & whatnot.

We all stayed home Monday and I stayed by myself yesterday to work from home.  I burned through like half my woodpile since the weekend.  Also learned I need to replace some windows.  Had cold air leaking in like crazy.

On the plus side, the kids had fun making nearly-instant slushies out of Sunny D, Coke, and root beer, and we did the boiling water into snow trick a few times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Have you considered duct taping the windows?  Works like a charm here.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2014, 11:21:20 AM
Have you considered duct taping the windows?  Works like a charm here.

Gonna replace some of them this spring.  In the meantime I'd be concerned that duct tape would leave residue or remove paint, plus look ugly while it's there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I'm out of duct tape. :perv:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Yeah, my front door has blue painters tape all around it right now :lol: I need to get a new seal for it, and make sure the door/door frame is straight.

In other news, The Nest thermostats is still working fine.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Quote from: PDH on January 08, 2014, 10:44:44 AM
I thought Phoenix gets that Summer Monsoon with more humidity (60-70%) in July and August...
yeah when the zonies invade San Diego <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
I'm officially over winter.

There is really only one way to avoid it entirely and remain in Canada....

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 08, 2014, 01:16:48 PM

Victoria is a nice place, it's true.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 08, 2014, 12:17:18 PM
Yeah, my front door has blue painters tape all around it right now :lol: I need to get a new seal for it, and make sure the door/door frame is straight.

In other news, The Nest thermostats is still working fine.

I'm tempted to get one of those thermal image things done that they keep pushing in those Angie's List emails.  It's just that $100 seems like a lot to pay for a few pictures.

Malthus

Yes, but committing suicide is a rather drastic response.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2014, 02:19:05 PM

Yes, but committing suicide is a rather drastic response.  ;)

Agreed.  Now that Pearson Airport is non operational it seems that it you only way out.