Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Maximus on October 04, 2013, 06:01:58 PM
:huh: many people die of heat-related illnesses.

It helps decrease the surplus population.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on October 04, 2013, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2013, 06:10:31 PM
I was talking about comfort too. Much easier to put up with 3 months of winter than 9.

Sure, but that's just as true about summer. At least the kind of summer you get down here.

Moderate temperatures the whole year are ideal.  Some people here complain that Vancouver doesnt get the change of seasons like other places.  But I will take moderate temperatures over changes in season any day.

11B4V

Temp is dropping, raining hard off and on. Great start for deer season on the 12th.  :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2013, 12:57:36 PM

Moderate temperatures the whole year are ideal.  Some people here complain that Vancouver doesnt get the change of seasons like other places.  But I will take moderate temperatures over changes in season any day.

This is my biggest area of concern for moving to the Upper Northwest region.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

Totally agree. My reservations about Vancouver have nothing to do with the weather.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

I was talking about comfort too. Much easier to put up with 3 months of winter than 9.

Sure, but that's just as true about summer. At least the kind of summer you get down here.

That's the main selling point for southern California  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

It's a lovely October :)
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2013, 02:42:22 PM

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2013, 02:42:22 PM

I suppose it depends where you are.  I spent a couple weeks on the coast last summer and I really disliked to cold fog that rolled in on daily basis.  And while it wouldnt really count as southern California, SF was so cold I had to buy a jacket.

The main problem with California is you have to travel long distances to get to decent ski hills.  Here I have moderate weather and I am 20 minutes away from a lift.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2013, 11:10:14 AM
And while it wouldnt really count as southern California, SF was so cold I had to buy a jacket.

I think you just mean isn't at all Southern California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2013, 11:14:17 AM
And while it wouldnt really count as southern California, SF was so cold I had to buy a jacket.

I think you just mean isn't at all Southern California.

The reason I put it that way is SF was just a more extreme version of the cold fog we encountered in the Southern coastal areas. 

Maximus

The main problem with California is you have to travel long distances to get to decent ski hills.  Here I have moderate weather and I am 20 minutes away from a lift.

I sincerely doubt that's the main problem with California.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on October 08, 2013, 11:26:23 AM

I sincerely doubt that's the main problem with California.

Yes, given where you choose to live I understand that would not be important to you.