News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

At 7200 feet we don't get much humidity plus the air is thinner and it always holds less water.  Every night in summer, even if it is 90 during the mid day it cools down into the 50s.

The price?  You have to drink more fluids.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

i don't think there are any recorded cases of fatally dry skin.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2013, 01:40:12 PM

It can hurt like a SOB when your hands and lips get all dry and cracked though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2013, 01:42:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2013, 01:40:12 PM

It can hurt like a SOB when your hands and lips get all dry and cracked though.

Fairly straight forward and simple measures can be used to avoid that problem.  There is no way to avoid high humidity other than staying inside in an airconditioned room.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2013, 01:55:08 PM
  There is no way to avoid high humidity other than staying inside in an airconditioned room.

And what's wrong with doing that?  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Another vote for high humidity is a bitch, if only because it interferes with the body's natural cooling mechanisms.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2013, 11:26:52 AM
I wonder what 0% humidity would feel like, or if it's even possible for it to get that low.  OTOH 100% humidity is basically fog, right? :hmm:

Antartica is the dryest of dry dry dry dry deserts. Just as in the hot ones, you have to hydrate constantly even if you don't sweat in that cold.
And in Kuwait, if the wind came from inland 125 was livable, when it came from the gulf, 125 made you want to hang yourself to escape it.

Talking about fog, humidity and such, when they talk about dew points, that is where I get confused. :wacko:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2013, 10:54:56 AM
I'm thinking humidity may be getting a bad rap. Sure, it sucks being covered in sweat, but constant dehydration's no walk in the park either.

I dunno;  hot is hot, but I'd rather deal with Phoenix at 100 degrees and no humidity than Doomidity here at 85 degrees and 60% humidity.

I regularly say about I can do Palm Springs at 110 much better than NYC in the 80s with 70% humidity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 26, 2013, 03:06:46 PM
I wonder what 0% humidity would feel like, or if it's even possible for it to get that low.  OTOH 100% humidity is basically fog, right? :hmm:

And in Kuwait, if the wind came from inland 125 was livable, when it came from the gulf, 125 made you want to hang yourself to escape it.

Ugh, I am not looking forward to that.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 26, 2013, 03:06:46 PM

Ugh, I am not looking forward to that.

Well, make sure the noose is high and long enough to snap your neck quickly, you don't want to kick and flail for an hour.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

Well, I am Air Force...so it would just the suffering of moving between A/C-equipped buildings....

...which has been bad enough here of late (though our A/C was out on Monday, that sucked).  :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2013, 04:49:45 PM
Well, I am Air Force...so it would just the suffering of moving between A/C-equipped buildings....

...which has been bad enough here of late (though our A/C was out on Monday, that sucked).  :P

You printed out your emails and are hand delivering them due to the Internet being down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

June 26th.  I got the heat on... Yesterday, I needed a/c in the office.  Today, I had to crank up the heat...  The weather is all fucked up.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2013, 09:54:41 PM
June 26th.  I got the heat on... Yesterday, I needed a/c in the office.  Today, I had to crank up the heat...  The weather is all fucked up.
80's here. Which would be fine....if the sun ever went fucking down!!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on June 26, 2013, 10:18:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2013, 09:54:41 PM
80's here. Which would be fine....if the sun ever went fucking down!!

Mini-curtains for your eyelids ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"