Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2013, 06:18:26 AM
Gonna hit 39C today. too hot.

All weekend was too hot.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

72F here in the late afternoon, just off to do some errands/shopping and coming back to some evening gardening; much better than yesterday.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

I was out of town over the weekend.  I'm surprised no one mentioned the flooding in Calgary.  Downtown was submerged, the Saddledome was flooded up to row 10, lots of low-lying areas along the river were flooded.

I never would have thought of Calgary was being susceptible to flooding - it has such a dinky river running through it, and is so hilly.  But I guess it can happen.

Not sure how they're going to manage the Stampede which starts in a week.  The Stampede grounds were also under water, and they should be setting up by now...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 11:51:06 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the flooding in Calgary.

Kinda answered it yourself there.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 11:51:06 AM
I was out of town over the weekend.  I'm surprised no one mentioned the flooding in Calgary.  Downtown was submerged, the Saddledome was flooded up to row 10, lots of low-lying areas along the river were flooded.

I never would have thought of Calgary was being susceptible to flooding - it has such a dinky river running through it, and is so hilly.  But I guess it can happen.

Not sure how they're going to manage the Stampede which starts in a week.  The Stampede grounds were also under water, and they should be setting up by now...

Of course, people did post about the flooding so...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

They just flipped the tornado siren.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 02:38:53 PM
They just flipped the tornado siren.

Shouldn't you be running for some kind of protected place or are you already there - with internet access? :D

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 09:44:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2013, 06:18:26 AM
Gonna hit 39C today. too hot.

All weekend was too hot.  :(
i was up by Newmarket on Saturday, wasn't too bad. Luckily didn't rain up there. Yesterday I locked myself in to finish some school work so AC kept me happy. Today though it was oppressively humid.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Poor Tonitrus.  Going to find his body this week; choked to death on a chunk of DOOMIDITY

QuoteTuesday's temperatures reached a record high for 2013 in Baltimore, and it could get hotter still with the heat index expected to near 100 degrees Wednesday and surpass it Thursday.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2013, 06:09:24 PM
Poor Tonitrus.  Going to find his body this week; choked to death on a chunk of DOOMIDITY

QuoteTuesday's temperatures reached a record high for 2013 in Baltimore, and it could get hotter still with the heat index expected to near 100 degrees Wednesday and surpass it Thursday.

Man, that's bad.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

It was pretty miserable today.

Grey Fox

My 21 000 btu of ACs are running at full speed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I'm thinking humidity may be getting a bad rap. Sure, it sucks being covered in sweat, but constant dehydration's no walk in the park either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I wonder what 0% humidity would feel like, or if it's even possible for it to get that low.  OTOH 100% humidity is basically fog, right? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2013, 10:54:56 AM
I'm thinking humidity may be getting a bad rap. Sure, it sucks being covered in sweat, but constant dehydration's no walk in the park either.

I dunno;  hot is hot, but I'd rather deal with Phoenix at 100 degrees and no humidity than Doomidity here at 85 degrees and 60% humidity.