News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

So after nearly the coldest May on record, next Wednesday is expected to break the record for hottest day ever recorded.  :huh:

katmai

Maladict, yeah April was one of coldest on record here, hell we had snow 4 weeks ago and now at 1am it is 72/22 here and i can't sleep.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

We had 37° yesterday (and some place in broke another all time record for Austrian June temperatures with over 38°. Weekend: 28°. Monday: 18°, rain. WTF??

This is about the rainiest year I've had in Vienna in the last 8 years - we actually had the rainiest May on record.

At least we don't get crazy storms like Germany the last two or so days. Germany even had tornado warnings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2013, 02:06:27 AM
At least we don't get crazy storms like Germany the last two or so days. Germany even had tornado warnings.

Yep, tornado warning in Hessen. Storm over Frankfurt.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2013, 02:06:27 AM
We had 37° yesterday

Anecdote - I met friends at the Prater amusement park yesterday after work to go to one of the restaurants there. On my way there I saw a guy from Balkans or Turkey or Syria or someplace like that - tank top, shorts, flip flops, cold drink in his hand. His wife was clad in black from head to toe, only eyes showing, carrying a backpack and a big as camera. He dropped her off in a lawn area for picnics etc. so he could go on the rides. She joined other similarly dressed women. It looked like a ninja gathering. Seeing fully veiled women is rather uncommon in Vienna, and more so a dozen at a time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

We've had a lot of rain here, so the last couple of days the sun is out, weather is warm, and I think lots of warm weather for the next week or so. About time, need the sun to grow my tomato plants! Potato plants have been loving the cooler weather though. 

Syt

It'll be a 12° temperature drop tomorrow, with heavy rains. Tuesday has 30-40l/square meter in the forecast.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 23, 2013, 10:20:07 AM
It'll be a 12° temperature drop tomorrow, with heavy rains. Tuesday has 30-40l/square meter in the forecast.

So that's 30-40mm of rain ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Considering that a cubic meter would be 1,000 liters - yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 23, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Yes, I knew that, it just seemed odd to describe it in terms of a volume to an area ( 3D /2D ) , when it could be reduced to a single, one dimensional value.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2013, 12:57:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 23, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Yes, I knew that, it just seemed odd to describe it in terms of a volume to an area ( 3D /2D ) , when it could be reduced to a single, one dimensional value.

It's common here for liquid precipitation. For climate charts it's given in mm, but for heavy rains it's liters per sqm, poissibly because unlike snow, rain doesn't tend to stack well.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on June 23, 2013, 01:21:22 PM
It's common here for liquid precipitation. For climate charts it's given in mm, but for heavy rains it's liters per sqm, poissibly because unlike snow, rain doesn't tend to stack well.

Measuring volume doesn't get around the problem of stacking either.  To calculate volume you need height first.  Why not just give the height?

It's a zany system and I demand you cease forthwith.

PDH

I would like width as a measurement of rain.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Gonna hit 39C today. too hot.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Supposed to hit 90 today, and climb through the week.  Welcome back, Doomidity.