News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 17, 2013, 12:56:53 PM
Don't give me this BS line about employment. Where is your employment right now? With no AC! What good does it make living in the suburbs of Washington D.C.?

So is that how you do it in life?  Just break down the teepee and follow the buffalo herd like the Sioux?

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2013, 02:11:38 PM
Don't give me this BS line about employment. Where is your employment right now? With no AC! What good does it make living in the suburbs of Washington D.C.?

So is that how you do it in life?  Just break down the teepee and follow the buffalo herd like the Sioux?

Adapt or die. :contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Well, you're Eskimo, so I guess it's almost the same thing, Nanook.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2013, 02:11:38 PM

Pretty much, kemosabe.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2013, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2013, 01:22:51 PM
Funny part is that my grandfather - who actually *did* live in the wilderness for years on end, chopping wood (and for all I know strangling bears with his bare hands) - quite famously too, as his daughter grew up to be a famous writer and wrote about him in thin disguise - always said "cottage".

He was about as macho a dude as can be imagined, though he had a pretty biting sense of humour, so it would have tickled him pink (  ;) ) to hear that the word "cottage" suggests effeminacy, let alone a positively garbonesque anonymous hook-up.

However, I will henceforth use "cabin", lest the delicate sensibilities of our Sourthern friends be offended with the taint of homosexuality.
As a Canadian it's not possible that he could be macho so take your lies and shove them. :sleep:

Anyway, TYVM. :)

:P

Seriously though, he's a pretty hardcore character - who lived a genuine "Horatio Alger" type rags to riches (sort of) live.

He was born into a family of dirt poor farmers in Nova Scotia, and conceived of a bizzare (for his time and place) ambition - to go to university. Worked his way through university during the Great Depression - by working as a lumberjack. Managed to put together the first Canadian forestry institute; set up, single-handedly, a string of forestry stations in what was then completely isolated wilderness, build with his own axe - one of which we still have and use as our cottage (sorry, "cabin"  ;) ). It's still pretty remote, on a lake known as Lake Kippawa. He lived in those stations year-round for years, with his family - my dad grew up home-schooled in those places.

Later, he moved to the big city and became a full professor. Reason? The forest institute was becomming so big that he would be required to manage it full-time and he didn't wanna do that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2013, 02:19:44 PM
Pretty much, kemosabe.

I realize that things are a little different up there in that idyllic sylvan paradise where health care is as plenty as the finest meats and cheeses in all the land, but down here in Shareholderstan, it's sorta difficult to just up and leave without employment waiting for you on the other end.  With the rare exception of actors in New York willing to suck cock to make ends meet, Predatory Capitalist America doesn't suffer those lost in the wilderness on their own accord.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2013, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2013, 02:19:44 PM
Pretty much, kemosabe.

I realize that things are a little different up there in that idyllic sylvan paradise where health care is as plenty as the finest meats and cheeses in all the land, but down here in Shareholderstan, it's sorta difficult to just up and leave without employment waiting for you on the other end.  With the rare exception of actors in New York willing to suck cock to make ends meet, Predatory Capitalist America doesn't suffer those lost in the wilderness on their own accord.

I did just that - though it did drain out my savings. -_-

I also wouldn't recommend it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Yep sitting there for a year getting rejection after rejection is much better alternative.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 17, 2013, 03:04:05 PM
Yep sitting there for a year getting rejection after rejection is much better alternative.

I'm getting rejections from all across the country;  I certainly don't have to move anywhere in order to get them.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2013, 03:05:55 PM

I'm getting rejections from all across the country;  I certainly don't have to move anywhere in order to get them.

Although part of that also is the reluctance of companies to pull on non-local candidates because of moving time / expectations of relocation. I remember that one time I got an interview simply because I happened to tell them I'd be on vacation in the city that week if they wanted to bring me in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Moving isn't exactly a cheap decision.  There are only so many times you can move while unemployed if you're not regularly a migrant worker.

Caliga

Yes.  Unless a candidate was an absolutely perfect fit AND I had nobody even close locally, I'd toss out of town resumes back when I was a recruiter.  I think in total I got jobs for two relocators... that's it.  One was coming up from Louisiana, and the other from Mississippi.  Anyone coming from Yankeeland: FUCK OFF. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2013, 03:07:58 PM
Although part of that also is the reluctance of companies to pull on non-local candidates because of moving time / expectations of relocation. I remember that one time I got an interview simply because I happened to tell them I'd be on vacation in the city that week if they wanted to bring me in.

Yeah, a certain state institution in Ohio actually told me that that Ohioan candidates would take precedence over out-of-staters;  even though you'd eventually become an Ohioan. that's not a net reduction in the unemployment stats for their state.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2013, 03:08:40 PM

Moving isn't exactly a cheap decision.  There are only so many times you can move while unemployed if you're not regularly a migrant worker.

You are gonna tell me about moving?!?

Fuggedaboutit!

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2013, 03:05:55 PM

My apologies then, in talks the impression was if not in Maryland/DC you hadn't been bothering.