News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2012, 09:22:37 PM
Sweet Jesus, that was a wild thunderstorm.

Must be the front we caught Thursday night.  Sounded like the opening of Operation Uranus.

CountDeMoney

This humidity shit is for other continents, man.

Syt

According to the NOAA, this is the warmest year in the U.S. since they've started keeping records in 1895, on average +4.5F over average Jan-Jun.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2012/07/noaa_2012_hottest_year_on_reco.shtml

Also on their webpage:
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2012/20120119_global_stats.html
QuoteAccording to NOAA scientists, 2011 was a record-breaking year for climate extremes, as much of the United States faced historic levels of heat, precipitation, flooding and severe weather, while La Niña events at both ends of the year impacted weather patterns at home and around the world

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110112_globalstats.html
QuoteAccording to NOAA scientists, 2010 tied with 2005 as the warmest year of the global surface temperature record, beginning in 1880. This was the 34th consecutive year with global temperatures above the 20th century average. For the contiguous United States alone, the 2010 average annual temperature was above normal, resulting in the 23rd warmest year on record.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Hot and humid here today again. Yesterday and today I did most of my outside and garden work very early in the morning, and for the rest of the day mostly stayed indoors or ran errands like food shopping and such. Going to cool down a bit, less humidity, this week. But the humid weather is nothing that we don't usually have off and on during the summer.

Ed Anger

Today: 71F
Tomorrow: 78F

Actually had the a/c off and the windows open.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

It was almost a little chilly up in Chicago today when I went out for lunch.  Had a kickass sammich - serrano ham and manchego cheese on a brezel with sweet Bavarian mustard :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2012, 08:46:38 PM
Today: 71F
Tomorrow: 78F

Actually had the a/c off and the windows open.

Today was nice here as well.  About damn time we get some decent weather.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Gonna be toasty today, like it was yesterday.  Looking like 102-104 for the high, but no sudden huge thunderstorms like yesterday to cool things off in the late afternoon.   The aquifer is below 640' now, so that's not good.

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 11, 2012, 03:09:45 AM
Gonna be toasty today, like it was yesterday.  Looking like 102-104 for the high, but no sudden huge thunderstorms like yesterday to cool things off in the late afternoon.   The aquifer is below 640' now, so that's not good.

Good grief, it's like the opening paragraph from a disaster movie.

Incidentally, we've had an exceptionally dry last 2-3 years, saving this spring, but I still recon I could sink a borehole in the garden and come up with water within about 3-4 feet.  :bowler:

Somewhere in the garden is a covered old well, which I've yet to find; but in extremist I would douse.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

You British complain about your weather.  Here in the middle of the country, 80% humidity and 90 degree temperatures are fairly common.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
You British complain about your weather.  Here in the middle of the country, 80% humidity and 90 degree temperatures are fairly common.

Actually nowadays we don't seem to do much of that, which is worrying.

Did you notice how for most of the Olympics it's been pretty much idea for the events, not too hot nor too cold, not much rain, some clouding to take the string out of the sunshine; it's like a different country, time was we had a national event and you could guarantee rain and squally South-westerlies.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Well, maybe you guys will come out of this global warming thing okay.   I genuinely worry about Missouri.  The last two years have been strangely warm and dry.  This year has devastated the corn crop.  A lot of farmers are going to have a total loss.  I'm wondering if the the future there will have to be major irrigation networks set up. 

The air conditioning is really expensive (you can't live here without air conditioning).  Electric bill was over 500 bucks last month.

Ed Anger

You keeping the A/C at 50 or somefink? 500 smackers? Wow.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2012, 05:24:55 PM

You have a two weeks of 100 degree weather, it really adds up.  It's fucking brutal out here.  Now the AC is broke so the problem solved itself.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2012, 05:24:55 PM

You have a two weeks of 100 degree weather, it really adds up.  It's fucking brutal out here.  Now the AC is broke so the problem solved itself.

Still seems like you got buttfucked by your power company.