News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 01:08:35 PM
Well, one of the benefits of bison is that they are such a hardy beast, they don't require the sheltering that your average moo cow requires. They can withstand temperatures of -40F, and don't require as much water as cattle.
They're also a bloody pain in the ass to handle. They require much more expensive fencing, ordinary barbed wire does nothing. They can outrun most horses and are as likely to charge as to flee. I've helped out on a couple roundups and we used pickups to herd them. Even then one cow decided to go over a pickup and smashed the hell out of it. Fortunately she didn't break a leg, but if they get too worked up there's a good chance of heart failure.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 05:04:31 PM
It is popular up here, just got to get away from all your cows in Hicksville, Iowa.

Yeah, clearly nearby bison ranges is one of the signs of high civilization.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on July 17, 2012, 06:13:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 01:08:35 PM
Well, one of the benefits of bison is that they are such a hardy beast, they don't require the sheltering that your average moo cow requires. They can withstand temperatures of -40F, and don't require as much water as cattle.
They're also a bloody pain in the ass to handle. They require much more expensive fencing, ordinary barbed wire does nothing. They can outrun most horses and are as likely to charge as to flee. I've helped out on a couple roundups and we used pickups to herd them. Even then one cow decided to go over a pickup and smashed the hell out of it. Fortunately she didn't break a leg, but if they get too worked up there's a good chance of heart failure.

You know, when I was writing earlier I thought, "Gee, I bet they're motherfuckers to go get and bring back if you have need to do it", but then I thought, naaaaah. :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 01:03:54 PM
Everybody says Bison is wonderful. I just can't pull the trigger on it. It isn't a bean burrito w/o onions.  :)
It's not that great.  So little fat, so little flavour.  I'd take beef every time.  I'd say it's more of a novelty than a premium meat.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

For burgers, it still grills better than turkey.

katmai

Katmai says shelf don't know what he's talking about, so much so that Katmai is now referring to himself in the third person!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 08:31:37 PM
For burgers, it still grills better than turkey.
Agreed.  Turkey's a horrible, horrible meat.  Endure it once a year and move on.

Same problem though.  No fat.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't use turkey on a burger, but for things like tacos and spaghetti it's perfectly acceptable as a beef substitute.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2012, 08:36:15 PM
Agreed.  Turkey's a horrible, horrible meat.  Endure it once a year and move on.

Same problem though.  No fat.

I'll use turkey instead of beef only in casseroles, things like that.   It's a a healthy alternative, but my god, you just can't use ground turkey for anything on its own.

CountDeMoney

Nasty ass thunderstorms. Shutting down. See ya on the flip side.

KRonn

We had bad thunderstorms late yesterday and today was beautiful weather. In the low 80s F, about 27C, low humidity, real nice. Supposed to be like this a few days I think.

Maximus

They've been promising big storms for several days now but have failed to deliver,

Razgovory

Saw in the news that we need about a foot of rain to get back to average levels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on July 20, 2012, 03:33:36 AM
Hit 78 here today :P

Weather.com has a high of 70 here today. :blink:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.