News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 10:21:01 AM
I'd bet there's livestock insurance.  You can insure anything.

Probably.  Hell, in Maryland law the charging language used for defining "unauthorized use" of a vehicle (read: not stolen, but not approved by owner) actually included livestock. 

Admiral Yi

I think most propective ranchers would not look at the weather and think to themselves this is bound to last for the medium term at least.  They'll probably think we had an unusually hot summer.

Might see more purchases of misting equipment and heat-resistant breeds though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 12:37:20 PM

If I were interested in ramping up a livestock living, bison would be it.  Hardier than cattle, and bison beef is a premium meat.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 01:00:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 12:37:20 PM

If I were interested in ramping up a livestock living, bison would be it.  Hardier than cattle, and bison beef is a premium meat.

Some of my wife's family is into bison ranching.  Trouble is it takes a lot longer to get to market and the premium isn't really worthwhile.

But we really do need to get a chest freezer so we can go in on a 1/4 buffalo from one of her uncles. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It's a premium meat that no one eats except school kids forced to by Ted Turner's bribing of the USDA.

Ed Anger

Everybody says Bison is wonderful. I just can't pull the trigger on it. It isn't a bean burrito w/o onions.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Well, one of the benefits of bison is that they are such a hardy beast, they don't require the sheltering that your average moo cow requires. They can withstand temperatures of -40F, and don't require as much water as cattle.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 01:02:02 PM
It's a premium meat that no one eats except school kids forced to by Ted Turner's bribing of the USDA.

I eat bison all the time.  Hell I had bison burgers for supper last night. :alberta:

I do miss the Yukon supermarket I used to go to that had bison right there.  Now I get it at a farmer's market, and it's very expensive.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 01:14:11 PM
I eat bison all the time.  Hell I had bison burgers for supper last night. :alberta:

Yeah, it's the only red meat I ever eat anymore.   Lean as hell.  Expensive as hell.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 01:03:54 PM
Everybody says Bison is wonderful. I just can't pull the trigger on it. It isn't a bean burrito w/o onions.  :)

Best steak I've ever had outside of Argentina was a buffalo steak I ate in Jackson Hole, WY.  Had it medium-rare and paired it with a nice Cabernet.  But I was also fitshaced at the time, so my memory is a slight bit foggy.

Just wish it was as cheap here as it is out west.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 01:16:38 PM

Yeah, it's the only red meat I ever eat anymore.   Lean as hell.  Expensive as hell.

America's original red meat.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 01:35:45 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 01:03:54 PM

Best steak I've ever had outside of Argentina was a buffalo steak I ate in Jackson Hole, WY.  Had it medium-rare and paired it with a nice Cabernet.  But I was also fitshaced at the time, so my memory is a slight bit foggy.

Just wish it was as cheap here as it is out west.

Not actually a fan of bison as a steak.  It's so lean it seems rather dry.  It needs some moisture (a sauce, perhaps).  I used to get a wonderful bison steak with blueberry sauce up in a restaurant in Whitehorse.

Admiral Yi

You and not many other people.  80% of the US consumption goes to school lunches.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 05:23:01 AM
There is nowhere to hide today, folks.
:whistle:
QuoteSunrise
    04:57

Sunset
    23:12

Feels Like
    62°F

Humidity
    58%

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 03:51:25 PM

You and not many other people.  80% of the US consumption goes to school lunches.

It is popular up here, just got to get away from all your cows in Hicksville, Iowa.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son