News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 06:35:16 AM
QuoteThere is nowhere to hide today, folks.

OH YES THERE IS.

I hope you choke on your double brie burger.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 06:43:46 AM

OH YES THERE IS.

Caen, France Weather

67°F
    Mostly Cloudy
    Feels like 67°F

Updated: Jul 17, 2012, 1:25pm Local Time

From
W
13mph
WIND
75%
HUMIDITY
59°
DEW POINT Humidity becomes more noticeable as the dew point rises above 60°F. Readings above 75°F can feel stifling.
8.0 mi
Visibility
30.36 in
Pressure
4 - Moderate
UV Index
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2012, 06:47:04 AM
Caen, France Weather

Be sure to say hi to Monty for me.  I'm sure he's still waiting.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 05:23:01 AM
There is nowhere to hide today, folks.

You mean besides buildings with AC. Or cars with AC. Not a good day for a jog perhaps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

This from the Met Office is interesting explaining our shit summer:
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/the-uks-wet-summer-the-jet-stream-and-climate-change/
It also mentions the US heatwave briefly:

The US heat wave is also beneath a northward meander and a ridge of high pressure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

It's a wonderful, wonderful summer here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 05:23:01 AM
There is nowhere to hide today, folks.

Yesterday I watched a report about cattle ranchers in the mid-West, mountain states and it's really quite heartbreaking what this drought is doing to their farms and cattle. When they go under for climate and financial reasons there not much hope of them coming back or someone replacing them. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

OH YES THERE IS.

Caen, France Weather

67°F
    Mostly Cloudy
    Feels like 67°F

From
W
13mph
WIND
75%
HUMIDITY
59°
DEW POINT Humidity becomes more noticeable as the dew point rises above 60°F. Readings above 75°F can feel stifling.
8.0 mi
Visibility
30.36 in
Pressure
4 - Moderate
UV Index

If you're just looking for ways to beat the summer heat surely there are other, closer places to go.

Yukon for one.  I'm sure I could help line you up with a nice cabin by, say, Kusawa Lake for pretty cheap.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 09:53:37 AM
Yesterday I watched a report about cattle ranchers in the mid-West, mountain states and it's really quite heartbreaking what this drought is doing to their farms and cattle. When they go under for climate and financial reasons there not much hope of them coming back or someone replacing them.

Why is that?  Global demand for meat is growing by leaps and bounds.

mongers

OH YES THERE IS.

Caen, France Weather

67°F
    Mostly Cloudy
    Feels like 67°F

From
W
13mph
WIND
75%
HUMIDITY
59°
8.0 mi
Visibility
30.36 in
Pressure
4 - Moderate
UV Index

It's really embarrassing how quickly he's betrayed his manifest destiny continental climate and gone native so as to embrace the NW Europe maritime weather. :hmm:

Though  Ed there is a sting in the tail, coastal Northern France seems to have much more violent storms that rip through the region as compared to similar weather fronts over here, just the other side of the channel.  :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 09:59:54 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 09:53:37 AM

Why is that?  Global demand for meat is growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm not sure you can write off 3,000 dead head of cattle.  Don't think there's livestock insurance, gotta look into that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 10:18:27 AM
I'm not sure you can write off 3,000 dead head of cattle.  Don't think there's livestock insurance, gotta look into that.

"When they go under for climate and financial reasons there not much hope of them coming back or someone replacing them. "

I'd bet there's livestock insurance.  You can insure anything.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 10:18:27 AM

"When they go under for climate and financial reasons there not much hope of them coming back or someone replacing them. "

I'd bet there's livestock insurance.  You can insure anything.

If you can, it doesn't necessarily mean the fees are affordable.

And who's going to say,ok look rancher X's business failed because of dough/ fire devastated / reduced water supply, I think I see an opportunity to start a ranch there. 

I think the person would weight for the short/medium term weather problem to dissipate and the range to recover a bit before starting a new livestock business.

And a ranch or farm isn't a entity on its own, to some extent it needs a viable set of other agricultural businesses in the area for it to succeed.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 09:58:07 AM
If you're just looking for ways to beat the summer heat surely there are other, closer places to go.

Yukon for one.  I'm sure I could help line you up with a nice cabin by, say, Kusawa Lake for pretty cheap.   :)

Here you go - your own log cabin, on your own fucking 42 acre island, 3 miles from Dawson City.  And all probably cheaper than the POS farmhouses you're looking at in Normandy.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11402495&PidKey=1774493821

I think I'm in love. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 12:07:10 PM
And who's going to say,ok look rancher X's business failed because of dough/ fire devastated / reduced water supply, I think I see an opportunity to start a ranch there. 

No, they'd say, ok look the price of beef has gone up x%, I think I see an opportunity to go into the cattle business.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?