News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Christ another hot day.  106 here.  This is one of the worst Summers I've seen.  On the plus side, I don't have to mow the grass.  It's all dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2012, 08:52:42 PM
Christ another hot day.  106 here.  This is one of the worst Summers I've seen.  On the plus side, I don't have to mow the grass.  It's all dead.

That's 4-5 degrees hotter than the hottest ever day in the whole of the United Kingdom.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Weather yesterday evening: searing hot sunshine, pouring rain, some hail, thunder, lightning. AT THE SAME TIME.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2012, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2012, 08:52:42 PM

That's 4-5 degrees hotter than the hottest ever day in the whole of the United Kingdom.  :bowler:

It'll be even higher tomorrow.  Heat is suppose to break Sunday though.  Mid 90's.  Not good but a little better.  It doesn't normally get this hot here.  At least not for long periods of time (or this early in the summer).  This may be the worst year I've ever seen.  At least I'm not one of those poor bastards in the East who still has his power out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Read in the paper today that this was the 13th consequetive day that St. Louis had had daytime highs over 100.  It's been a hot couple of weeks here in NC, but it's not been that bad!

CountDeMoney

20K still without power, 8 days later.

For you Euros that never get a chance to see some of the fucked up weather events native to North America, here's a pic of the business end of the derecho that hit June 29.

The storm was what meteorologists call a derecho. Deriving its name from the Spanish term for "straight ahead," derecho storms generally blow in one direction. They do not swirl like tornadoes, but they can cause tornado-style damage. The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that the wind gusts in the June 29 derecho rivaled those of an EF-1 tornado.

Derechos have occurred before, and were actually given their name in the late nineteenth century. They occur most often in the Midwestern and Great Lakes regions of the United States, between May and July. To qualify as a derecho, a storm must cause damage over 240 miles (400 kilometers) and pack wind gusts of at least 58 miles (93 kilometers) per hour. The June 29 derecho damage extended over a much greater length, and the storm brought wind gusts of more than 90 miles (145 kilometers) per hour. The June 29 storm did not just qualify as a derecho. It was, according to the Capital Weather Gang, "one of the most destructive complexes of thunderstorms in memory."

Here's NASA's footage of the storm's path from their GOES-13 satellite, along with some other nifty ass stuff.  Damn, shoulda been a meteorologist, shit is fascinating.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/derecho.html

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 05:36:02 AM

For you Euros that never get a chance to see some of the fucked up weather events native to North America, here's a pic of the business end of the derecho that hit June 29.

The storm was what meteorologists call a derecho. Deriving its name from the Spanish term for "straight ahead," derecho storms generally blow in one direction. They do not swirl like tornadoes, but they can cause tornado-style damage. The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that the wind gusts in the June 29 derecho rivaled those of an EF-1 tornado.

Derechos have occurred before, and were actually given their name in the late nineteenth century. They occur most often in the Midwestern and Great Lakes regions of the United States, between May and July. To qualify as a derecho, a storm must cause damage over 240 miles (400 kilometers) and pack wind gusts of at least 58 miles (93 kilometers) per hour. The June 29 derecho damage extended over a much greater length, and the storm brought wind gusts of more than 90 miles (145 kilometers) per hour. The June 29 storm did not just qualify as a derecho. It was, according to the Capital Weather Gang, "one of the most destructive complexes of thunderstorms in memory."

Here's NASA's footage of the storm's path from their GOES-13 satellite, along with some other nifty ass stuff.  Damn, shoulda been a meteorologist, shit is fascinating.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/derecho.html

It's like something out of a film.

edit:
oh that's where you guys get your imagery from.

For what it's worth the only time I've ever seen a storm approaching that, was when I liked in Wales and a really strange storm front was seen approaching from out to see, so get what us Britishers did... lots of all types sent out onto the promenade to see it come in onto the town.    :huh:
We really do love weather.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Hooray!  The heat broke!  We a little rain.  Strangely it came from the due east.  That's pretty unusual, but whatever.

KRonn

Supposed to cool off tomorrow here (New England, near Boston). It was in the 80sF here today but very humid.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 05:36:02 AM

That's really some crazy weather you all had there.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on July 07, 2012, 07:02:32 PM
Supposed to cool off tomorrow here (New England, near Boston). It was in the 80sF here today but very humid.
Hehe, at this point 80s would feel cold to me.  It's currently 92F (at 9:36 PM) and today's high was 105F (actual temp, not heat index). :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on July 07, 2012, 08:37:39 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 07, 2012, 07:02:32 PM
Hehe, at this point 80s would feel cold to me.  It's currently 92F (at 9:36 PM) and today's high was 105F (actual temp, not heat index). :showoff:

We had some clouds and a brief bit of rain, so it was a bit less hot. Feels cooler outside now but it's still humid and warm.

CountDeMoney

It's fucking 10:20pm, and it's still 89 out, with a heat index of 96.  Fuck.

Low 80s later in the week.  Yahoo.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

I feel like I'm in Palm Springs. I spent the whole day hiding indoors only to appear at night. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.