News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I don't recall ever seeing a buzzard. I think eastern Massachusetts is too "up scale" for them or something.   :bowler:

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on March 26, 2012, 07:09:47 PM
I don't recall ever seeing a buzzard. I think eastern Massachusetts is too "up scale" for them or something.   :bowler:
The handsome creature I posted is a black vulture, and no, they don't live that far north... apparently (just checked this) the furthest north they live is south Jersey.

It looks like turkey vultures do go as far north as New England in the summer, but I don't recall ever seeing one when we lived up there.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2012, 07:06:52 PM
I think he means a hawk.

No this is what we call a buzzard:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/index.aspx

It's a fine looking bird of prey, quite large for our small island were all the large animals were killed off long ago.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on March 26, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 12:52:32 PM
Well into the 70s in southern England today; had a minor mechanic issue so had to walk 4 or 5 miles home through the forest and what with the heat, the stronger sunlight and  I kid you not a buzzard* circling me it would almost be a scene out of a disaster (british) movie.  :bowler:

*Whatever a british buzzard is called in your country, but for us quite a big bird and a nice looking sawing flight.
Lol. I laughed at the buzzard part!  :D   

Good thing you didn't stop, or lie down to take a nap.     :ph34r:

Yeah, it's weird must be the first time I've seen one in that bit of forest for 3-4 years; there used to be a old buzzard that sometimes flew down and swooped in front of my as I rode through the forest, sometimes as close as 20-30 feet.   :cool:

ulmont

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 08:05:31 PM
I think he means a hawk.

That's a hawk, banana hammock.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2012, 08:54:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 08:05:31 PM
I think he means a hawk.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/index.aspx

Yeah, that's a hawk.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteo

In one sense that's exactly what they weren't, as originally hawk described a bird used for falconry, whereas buzzards are useless for that and so a different thing, an inferior bird, well at least as far as the uses humans can put them to.   

Razgovory

In another sense, they are both squids.  More realistically, it's a hawk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

KRonn

I do see hawks around here. When I worked in Boston, there were pigeons in the hospital parking garage. I used to see falcons, or maybe they were hawks, roaming around, hunting, in the garage.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2012, 09:15:45 PM
In another sense, they are both squids.  More realistically, it's a hawk.

I was mealy pointing out the origin of the names, for more on the North American confusion with the naming of these birds of prey, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzard

Razgovory

Actually it's a European confusion.  Anyway, I was already aware of the confusion between the British and American terms.  That's why I said "I think he means a hawk".  Despite my primitive bronze age beliefs, I do know a little about zoology.

PDH

I think that is a hawk, Mongers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Doesn't that bird look more like a hawk though?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2012, 10:46:51 PM
Actually it's a European confusion.  Anyway, I was already aware of the confusion between the British and American terms.  That's why I said "I think he means a hawk".  Despite my primitive bronze age beliefs, I do know a little about zoology.

Yeah Raz, but with all due respect I actually get out and see these things, you're sitting about inside trying to apply a category to sometime and trying to win an argue about it on the internet.
Menwhile next time I see one, I'll think oh look a buzzard, because like the vast majority of Brits, that's what there called them.

Raz, might I make a suggestion, you get out more and spend less of the spring and summer days on the interweb ?  :cool: