And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2021, 03:55:20 PM
It is a cool 22c in my house right now.

Currently 32 in our house and 39 in the shade of our deck.  Just entering the hottest part of the day as the sun makes its way around the Cedars which have been blocking it for most of the day.

We will be lucky to get down to 22 for a low tonight.

Grey Fox

I have A/C. Late 60s house were designed before our summers got crazy hot. They don't ventilate well.

Good luck, CC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

It's midnight, and the outside air temperature has dropped to... -29c.

Fuck.

(and look I know it gets hotter in other parts of the world.  But our houses were not designed for this heat / most have no A/C.  I did not laugh at Texas who struggled with freezing temps earlier this year)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

For once I am happy that Toronto routinely gets stinking hot weather in the summers - most places have air con here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Lytton, a small community in the Fraser Canyon about 3 hours East of Vancouver hit 46.6 yesterday.

The NYT had a map showing the areas with all time highs, the Pacific Northwest, and about 2/3rds of BC.  Today will be a bit cooler with temperatures only getting up to 33 and the rest of the week will be high 20s - so we would normally think of as a hot summer weather around here.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2021, 01:00:04 AM
It's midnight, and the outside air temperature has dropped to... -29c.

-29c? Holy shit. Force of habit putting the negative on there BB?  :P

Quote(and look I know it gets hotter in other parts of the world.  But our houses were not designed for this heat / most have no A/C.  I did not laugh at Texas who struggled with freezing temps earlier this year

The only laughter I have is at people who think you can comfortably live in hot areas without AC. In Texas if an AC is broken over a certain temperature there are all kinds of laws requiring landlords to fix it within a certain period of time.

Anybody who is experiencing Texas like summer temps is getting nothing but sympathy from me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

It seems to be really scary over there in the Pacific NW.

Each day of the last 3 days has beaten the record temperature ever recorded in Canada. Before this current heatwave the record was 45º in 1937. On the 27th of June Lytton recorded 46.6º, on the 28th it was 47.9º and yesterday it was 49.6º. The current Top 10 highest ever recorded temperatures in Canada have been taken in the last 3 days.

Similar temperatures have only been recorded in the US in deserts in the SW, although currently some places in Oregon and Washington are reaching 48º.

Valmy

Fortunately still cool in Whitehorse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Barrister

Not sure where that map was getting it's data.  According to Environment Canada it hit +36c yesterday, and is supposed to hit +37tc today.

Heat should break at least a little bit by the weekend.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 01:21:25 PM
Not sure where that map was getting it's data.  According to Environment Canada it hit +36c yesterday, and is supposed to hit +37tc today.

Not sure what the it is you are talking about.  Lytton was 49+C yesterday.  It got to 45 on our back deck yesterday.

Today is mercifully cool, seems almost cold at 24.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 30, 2021, 01:29:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 01:21:25 PM

Not sure what the it is you are talking about.  Lytton was 49+C yesterday.  It got to 45 on our back deck yesterday.

Today is mercifully cool, seems almost cold at 24.

Sorry was referring to Edmonton temps (the graphic only shows +33)