Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: I would love to be in Cornwall :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2021, 07:38:16 PM
BC is, I believe, set to break the record for hottest temperature on record in Canada.

It's damn hot.

Monday and Tuesday are the last two days of the school year, and Monday just got cancelled due to heat.

We finally got a few portable AC units (I've been advocating for them for a few years). We're managing to keep house temps at between 24 C to 27 C during the afternoon (depending on the floor) which is blessedly cool compared to what some folks are experiencing.

It's damn hot.

Canada's hot east to west right now.

Even Iqaluit is at +7C.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

At 10:23 AM, it was 30 in our house and 32 outside in the shade.  looks like the forecast of getting to 40+ was bang on.  Today is not going to be pleasant.

Jacob

Yeah I'm cancelling meetings at work and telling people to take time off if they need it.

Caliga

*does conversion to F* uh, wow.  It doesn't even get that hot in Kentucky most summers. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Time to buy heatpumps, BC.

Barrister

In Edmonton it's supposed to hit 34c today, and 39c by Wednesday.

For Caliga, that's 93f and 102f respectively.

What sucks about those temperatures in Canada is that most houses do not have air conditioning (ours doesn't) and they're more designed to keep heat in for winter.  Our boys went and slept in the basement last night, and they might just stay down there for a few days.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2021, 12:33:48 PM
Time to buy heatpumps, BC.

Yeah, that is the thing that makes this really bad for Vancouver - this is supposed to be a TEMPERATE rain forest zone.  So you can add heat, along with snow, to the things we are completely unprepared for.

Syt

Vienna is building infrastructure to remotely cool large office buildings, parliament etc. to avoid having local a/c units that add to the outside heat (I think?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2021, 12:49:22 PM
Vienna is building infrastructure to remotely cool large office buildings, parliament etc. to avoid having local a/c units that add to the outside heat (I think?).

Yep, think of a fridge, which also produces heat.

Better bet on insulation and cooling architecture.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 28, 2021, 12:59:53 PM

So the better bet is to rip the buildings down and rebuild them all with more insulation and better architecture? I don't know man. Simply installing air conditioners seems like a better bet to me.

Also at least in my part of the world no air conditioner+insulation = eventually it will be hotter inside than outside.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

We have so many heat spots in the city that it's not really feasible. The inner districts barely cool off over night during heat spells. So remotely pumping in cold air is more helpful in A/Cs. At the moment this is only for large buildings with centralized heating/cooling systems. And Vienna has a lot of experience with remote heating. It will be a long time till it will become available in apartments, and certainly not in places like I live in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2021, 01:47:40 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 28, 2021, 12:59:53 PM

So the better bet is to rip the buildings down and rebuild them all with more insulation and better architecture? I don't know man. Simply installing air conditioners seems like a better bet to me.

Also at least in my part of the world no air conditioner+insulation = eventually it will be hotter inside than outside.

:secret:
Air conditioning is also quite good at transmitting respiratory diseases, drying the air, sore throats and the like. People don't know how to use a/c in Germany and (North) France.
In my part of the world, insulation and no stupid architectural choices, which may be fine in Scandinavia, but not here as in let's have all the sunlight we can get with lots of glass and no blinds or shutters.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 28, 2021, 03:04:34 PM

:secret:
Air conditioning is also quite good at transmitting respiratory diseases, drying the air, sore throats and the like. People don't know how to use a/c in Germany and (North) France.

Well fortunately I live in a region with brutal humidity so those aren't really a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

It is a cool 22c in my house right now.