News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

@valmy How you faring in the snow? Did you get a rolling blackout too?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

The snow is crazy deep and the northern part of my house froze so we only get hot water in the southern part right now.

And yes we had rolling blackouts all day.

So...this is new.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

It is not really going to thaw much until Friday also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2021, 10:23:30 PM
The snow is crazy deep and the northern part of my house froze so we only get hot water in the southern part right now.

So...this is new.

I thought about you and the way your house was built, not much protection from this kind of weather (as you would expect from a house built in Austin) :(

Well, hang in there.  Unlike sand storms, the snow eventually melts ;)

Ok, not helping, sorry.  I'm guessing Austin is not equipped to deal with snow&ice in the streets either?
And even if it wasn't too late to buy supplemental heaters, without electricity, they won't be of much use to you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

So...this is new.

Hang it there. This is what we actually do when we get big storms. We wait them out.

Maladict

the northern part of my house froze so we only get hot water in the southern part right now.

How big is your house?  :unsure:

PDH

Friend of mine from University lives in Austin, as of last night his power had been out for 18 hours, his condo was about 50f/10c degrees inside, and he was wrapped in blankets with his cat.

Some idiot had blocked the entrance to the parking area by crashing their pickup, so he couldn't flee to someplace warm if he wanted to.  At least he has Laramie Wyoming training, but it sounded brutal (and incidentally, it is colder in Austin than in Laramie...)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: PDH on February 16, 2021, 11:16:58 AM
Friend of mine from University lives in Austin, as of last night his power had been out for 18 hours, his condo was about 50f/10c degrees inside, and he was wrapped in blankets with his cat.

That's awful :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on February 16, 2021, 07:38:37 AM
the northern part of my house froze so we only get hot water in the southern part right now.

About standard for American houses.  He posted pictures in another thread, you can see the garage behind:

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2021, 06:43:11 AM

So...this is new.

Hang it there. This is what we actually do when we get big storms. We wait them out.
But we have heating, insulation and snow plowers.  Austin has brooms. :(

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 16, 2021, 07:38:37 AM

About 300 sq meters. But six people live here.

However I have two tankless water heaters. Without power the circuit that kept the northern one from freezing up stopped working so it froze.

Grey Fox

Wow. Now that's some luxury. Instant water heating.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2021, 01:49:15 PM
Wow. Now that's some luxury. Instant water heating.

I had a similar set up installed so that my custom bathtub could actually be filled with hot water. It has the added advantage that when we have a full house, there is no risk of running out of hot water.

Grey Fox

On the Texas weather craziness.

ERCOT reported that at 1 am on Monday 30 gigawatts of generating capacity went offline. That's quite catastrophic.

Hydro Quebec Production (the division that generates power with water) generates 39.7 gigawatts of power. If that went offline, even Boston would feel it.

Syt

It seems conservative media are blaming renewable energies for the power failures.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.