News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

London's way behind the rest of the country on solar and it is quite difficult because, for example, there's a lot more rented properties. The tenant isn't going to spend money improving a property that isn't theirs and the landlord doesn't get the benefit of lower energy bills, so there's no real incentive. And lots of buildings are either purpose built flats or converted into flats which mean there's multiple owners you need to deal with to get consent to change the building.

Hopefully it's something they're trying to improve, but we don't do nearly enough.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:59:22 AMThe tenant isn't going to spend money improving a property that isn't theirs and the landlord doesn't get the benefit of lower energy bills, so there's no real incentive. And lots of buildings are either purpose built flats or converted into flats which mean there's multiple owners you need to deal with to get consent to change the building.

Very similar in Vienna. Pretty much in many bigger European cities, I wager.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2020, 11:17:55 AM
I can't wait for the predicted thunderstorms.
Same - but they keep pushing the estimate time back. When I was looking at the weather this weekend it was apparently going to break on Monday/Tuesday. Then this morning it's on Wednesday. Now it's Thursday.

Until then we're just going to hit 35 :weep:

Yes the forecasting has been lacking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2020, 12:17:57 PM
Yes the forecasting has been lacking.
:lol: It's always this way. I thought it was just part of being, as Duque says, an ocean climate not a continental climate.

Weirdly I have a friend who swears by the Norwegian weather forecaster.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2020, 10:57:18 AM
If we have a week of snow, it's a lot. We're not exactly in the mountains. Vienna in general doesn't have that much precipitation. Based on Wiki, Austin, TX has 34.32 inches annual precipitation on average vs Vienna's 25.6.
And in my London's quite dry comments - annual precipitation in London's around 22-23 inches. Very rarely snow and if we get snow it will probably cause the city to temporarily collapse :lol:

3 days of snow with like 5 cm is enough to cause quite a disorder in Paris as well. Happens every 10 years or so though.

merithyn

Huge storm moved across the midwest today. Over 400,000 people in central Iowa without power, including the entire city of Ames - where my daughter lives.

Admiral Yi? You okay? :unsure: I heard Iowa City got walloped pretty badly, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Hit 38 degrees today. Should start cooling off again. Have a managers golf thing Wednesday. Yay(sarcasm)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 10, 2020, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2020, 10:57:18 AM
If we have a week of snow, it's a lot. We're not exactly in the mountains. Vienna in general doesn't have that much precipitation. Based on Wiki, Austin, TX has 34.32 inches annual precipitation on average vs Vienna's 25.6.
And in my London's quite dry comments - annual precipitation in London's around 22-23 inches. Very rarely snow and if we get snow it will probably cause the city to temporarily collapse :lol:

3 days of snow with like 5 cm is enough to cause quite a disorder in Paris as well. Happens every 10 years or so though.

Is that a global warming thing, or did you guys just never have snow?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I think London's always been a bit too warm and buildingy to get snow regularly. I think Paris is probably similar. The countryside in the south of England, I think, used to always get snow.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Wait if you build buildings you have less snow?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 07:21:37 PM
I think London's always been a bit too warm and buildingy to get snow regularly. I think Paris is probably similar. The countryside in the south of England, I think, used to always get snow.

Mesothermal climate plus urban micro-climate. City centre has always 2-3 C° more than the suburbs.
Climate change makes summers warmer though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 11, 2020, 04:02:24 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 07:21:37 PM

Mesothermal climate plus urban micro-climate. City centre has always 2-3 C° more than the suburbs.
Climate change makes summers warmer though.
Yeah.

I suppose it still snows in London most years but it's like snow shows. It's very rarely enough that it actually settles because of the heat.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

It's 29 degrees inside, at night. I haven't slept more than three hours a night since Friday  :glare:

Sheilbh

What is happening :weep:

All windows in my flat are open and there's zero breeze.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

We still haven't hit 100 since 2012, but we have had nearly non-stop 90 degree days with heat indices of 100+. Overnight lows have been consistently in the 70s, with some nights not even getting below 80. The scattered thunderstorms have Florida-like downpours, which is not something I remember from the 1990s, but has become much more frequent.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help