News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Man we need some of those thunderstorms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Well, here comes hurricane Dorian. Went to get gas yesterday morning for the work commute couldn't figure out why all the old guys in the big expensive trucks were filling up gas cans in their truck beds. "Are they all going boating together?" I thought to myself as I dribbled $20 into the trusty old ranger. "Where are their boats? Perhaps they dropped them off at the boat ramp already?".

Driving home tonight the first three gas stations near the freeway are out of gas. Bottled water is also being hoarded. Im in St.Augustine, as of right now Dorian is set to come ashore around Cape Canaveral on Monday.

At the moment I just need gas to get to work.

More to follow until the power goes out. :)
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Liep

Looking at the projection it doesn't look like it's going to be particularly bad that far up north, but I guess you Americans and your above ground powerlines might still struggle. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 26, 2019, 04:22:18 PM
Do you own two houses?

Nope, but my family does.

Tomorrow may be the last real day of summer with 32 °C forecasted.  :cry:

fromtia

Quote from: Liep on August 30, 2019, 03:30:19 AM
Looking at the projection it doesn't look like it's going to be particularly bad that far up north, but I guess you Americans and your above ground powerlines might still struggle. :P

Yes, I think Im going to be okay on this one as of right now. I tend to spend a lot of time on the NOAA website(hotbed of libtard Chinese "teh climate is changing" conspiracies that it is) and a facebook page from a fellow here in Florida who posts all the models constantly. I'm anticipating a lot of rain and losing power. My house isn't in a flood zone but my employer is. So some potential for lost earnings.

Because the United States is a proper size country and not the Liberal-Islamic Republic of Little Bad-Wittgenstein, we have power lines rather than a single outlet next to Switzerland where we plug in our one Tram. 

fromtia

Well, on the basis of the last few days of tracks and the most recent ones today, I'm having to revise the fromtia forecast from "probably okay" to "very likely fucked". Mandatory Evacuation order for my neighbourhood has gone out and I'll be throwing up my plywood deflector screens and cutting any tree branches and palm fronds that look like they want to take flight today and tomorrow. Work was tumbleweeds last night and I called out tonight after reading the evacuation went out, so loss of earnings well underway.

Looking like we are getting a drive by, near miss, determined foreplay or possible hard fucking from a Category 4 or 5 Hurricane on Wednesday.

Shit.

Liep

:( Stay safe!

Looks like Bahamas is taking it hard right now, hopefully they've evacuated the northern islands.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Bahamas just got a direct, multihour hit by the strongest Atlantic Hurricane since the Labor Day storm of 1935. They're boned.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fromtia

Bahamas has been savaged. Highest wind speeds ever recorded in the Atlantic apparently. Mercifully for me the fromtia forecast is back down to probably okay. Well the house is boarded up, the palms and trees got a buzzcut and I have plenty of snacks. Town is eerily quiet and most places are closed and boarded up. Just hanging out at this point. Fingers crossed.

garbon

It is forecast to rain all day to day and has been raining since before I woke up. I checked the National Rail app while I was on my delayed train and their excuse was "This train has been delayed by slippery rails earlier today". :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2019, 04:14:10 AM
It is forecast to rain all day to day and has been raining since before I woke up. I checked the National Rail app while I was on my delayed train and their excuse was "This train has been delayed by slippery rails earlier today". :rolleyes:

You'll never get traction with us this way, Garbon you need to get a grip of yourself.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Small-mini tornado hit parts of the area yesterday (Sunday to Monday night).
My secretary's car after the phenomenon:

The trampoline was tied with a chain to the stairs.

She had to call the police, for insurance purpose.  The officer said his trampoline was bolted to the ground in concrete and had 300lbs of weight on it.  Nonetheless, it went flying as well.

I live maybe 5-6 minutes from her and I wasn't affected at all.  Although driving around the lower part of the town, I could see some branches lying around the main road.  Not the first time it is happenning in recent years, but that's not something I've ever witnessed in my younger years.  Very strong winds following a tropical storm/hurricane making it's way up here, I've seen very often, but such localized event, never until recently.  About a decade ago, the roof of a hardware store went flying with the wind, and we could see the trace of the storm in the mountain, a small path where no trees were left standing.  It went dying up there, never reached the city above.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Fall is in the air.  While the leaves don't change here in Florida and it's still 85 F / 30 C every day (at 100% humidity), nature still has subtle ways to let you know.  For instance I turned on the cold water today and, for the first time since June, actually got cold water.

Well, cool water at least, the ground is so warm here that, in the summer months, there's no need for a hot water heater.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Gonna got 37 today. Yesterday was like a high of 17. I'm gonna be sick by the end of this week
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

I was in the high 90s here till last Thursday night. :bleeding:

Also we got no rain at all in September.  Hottest and driest September ever here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points