News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 28, 2019, 08:47:20 AM
I remember the 2003 heatwave pretty well, wearing sandals or flip flops, naked torso at times, in the street that is, plus melting asphalt.

Got stuck in Paris in August when usually I would be in Portugal. Went to Portugal in September/October instead. Bad idea.

What's the plan this summer?

Maybe in future more people will have to think seriously about seasonal migration to cope with climate change?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Normandy and Britany, blessed with an English-style weather, are indeed getting more and more popular again. :)
Côte d'Azur is down.
Carpentras has always been too hot for my taste but 44,3 °C with no near sea, no thanks.
At least, in Bragança I get purer air with the mountains arounds.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 28, 2019, 08:57:18 AM
Normandy and Britany, blessed with an English-style weather, are indeed getting more and more popular again. :)
Côte d'Azur is down.
Carpentras has always been too hot for my taste but 44,3 °C with no near sea, no thanks.
At least, in Bragança I get purer air with the mountains arounds.

Interesting; I wonder if we'll see a similar move in the UK, with the Highlands, Islands and Ireland becoming more popular.

mongers

Another place in France has just beaten the record set at lunchtime today, now it's this:

European heatwave: France hits record temperature of 45.9C

28 June 2019 

France has hit its highest recorded temperature - 45.9C (114.6F) - amid a heatwave in Europe that has claimed several lives.

The new record was measured in the southern town of Gallargues-le-Montueux. Before this year the previous record was 44.1C during a heatwave in 2003 that killed thousands.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2019, 12:48:26 PM
It actually hasn't been that hot in Kentucky this summer on account of the nonstop rain keeping it cool.

The high today is 91 (32 for the Fahrenheit-impaired) and I think this is the hottest it's been all year.

People up here are already complaining about the heat and wishing it would rain.  I mean, we were getting flash floods as recently as Tuesday FFS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

I remember the 2003 heatwave pretty well, wearing sandals or flip flops, naked torso at times, in the street that is, plus melting asphalt.

Got stuck in Paris in August when usually I would be in Portugal. Went to Portugal in September/October instead. Bad idea.

The key question is whether you wore shorts.

Admiral Yi

First day with the AC on.  It's a real scocha.

mongers

Hottest day of the year so far, something like 34C, though no June record unlike what's happening on the continent.  :bowler:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2019, 02:41:56 PM

The key question is whether you wore shorts.

Bermudas most of the time, otherwise shorts, naturally!

Liep

Sunday 32 degrees, today 15 degrees. Feels like summer has ended early.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2019, 04:16:59 AM

1 week of summer for Denmark? That's par for the course, right?  :D
I would have thought 3 weeks, like Germany would be more realistic.

dps

May was actually hotter here than June.  Looks like July is gonna be a hot one, though.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2019, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2019, 04:16:59 AM

1 week of summer for Denmark? That's par for the course, right?  :D
I would have thought 3 weeks, like Germany would be more realistic.

In '17 we didn't even get a week of summer and in '18 we had 3 months so I no longer know what par is.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

11 degrees, force 6 winds and rain all day. Summer! :w00t:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2019, 08:14:30 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 27, 2019, 06:46:54 AM
39°C forecasted for Saturday. The day I go to the Rammstein concert, a "hot" metal band famous for its use of pyrotechnics during live performances. It's the stadium tour, the particularity being the gig in Paris takes place in a domed stadium with a fixed roof.  :P

Yeah, but what an epic euphoric way to go out of this existence  :D

Update:
Bummer! The venue had A/C. Unsurprisingly, it helped for the pyrotechnics.