News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Low of 3 tomorrow night and high of 7 Wednesday :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on January 28, 2019, 03:42:43 PM
It's in the 50s here. :)

Supposed to get cold tonight though.  Stop sending us your crappy weather, Canadians. :sleep:

No. You keep not fixing global warming. We keep fucking up your weather.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

It's so cold in Michigan that Amtrak has suspended project work, and instead has crews out making sure the switch machines don't freeze.  Switch machines are these things:

I was surprised by this; since they're massive, rugged and have no problem taking off your foot.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Do you breathe on them?

Forecast is for 40 this Saturday.  Man that's going to feel awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 29, 2019, 02:21:28 PM
It's so cold in Michigan that Amtrak has suspended project work, and instead has crews out making sure the switch machines don't freeze.  Switch machines are these things:

I was surprised by this; since they're massive, rugged and have no problem taking off your foot.

Train question: why are "signal problems" so common on Toronto subways? Is there something inherently fragile about signaling technology? Or is ours just very old and decrepit?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 29, 2019, 02:29:53 PM

Train question: why are "signal problems" so common on Toronto subways? Is there something inherently fragile about signaling technology? Or is ours just very old and decrepit?

Old and decrepit; some of the Metrolinx signal equipment dates back to the Depression.  Signal equipment is usually rugged; but it's not designed to last 80 years. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Yet they stop working if a chunk of ice from the train falls between the rails. It's why we have brooms at every switch :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

That is nasty cold! In the winter of 2014-2015 we had a similar effect from the Polar Vortex dipping low into the North East. That was the winter we set snow fall records of over nine feet in Massachusetts. Also had vicious cold to below zero temps for about a month straight,from the latter part of January, all of February and into March. It snowed at least once a week and most storms were big ones! Prior to late January we had little snow and it looked like a low snow winter....

That year I had finally replaced my old snow blower which dated from the 60s. We had gotten it used sometime in the 70s or 80s. I bought a new one and just in time too!

Admiral Yi

Expected high of -13F/-26C today.  Sweet Jesus.

Grey Fox

Don't die midwesterners!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2019, 05:33:18 AM
Expected high of -13F/-26C today.  Sweet Jesus.

Damn.  :(

Felt cold here last night when it dipped to zero C.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

A wet 0c can feel colder than a dry -10c.

derspiess

School canceled due to the cold weather and I talked the wife into working from home today.  I've had a fire going in the fireplace for 24 straight hours now.  I like my fires big, so I'm burning through the woodpile pretty quickly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Only 3 F here right now, which is insanely cold for us.  Winter temps rarely get below freezing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

It's 12 F here right now & sunny.