And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2018, 09:44:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
I have our Yukon rescue dog who lives in the backyard.  She does a fine job of keeping the squirrels away - even has a running tally of one squirrel, one ground squirrel, and one mouse she has caught.

Of course I have to put up some garden fencing to keep the dog out of the garden, but still a wise trade-off.

Our dog keeps the squirrels away.  One hilarious moment was when our dog caught one, then had no idea what to do - just stared at it for a few seconds and then let it go and started chasing it again.

Dogs are so innocent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2018, 09:44:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
I have our Yukon rescue dog who lives in the backyard.  She does a fine job of keeping the squirrels away - even has a running tally of one squirrel, one ground squirrel, and one mouse she has caught.

Of course I have to put up some garden fencing to keep the dog out of the garden, but still a wise trade-off.

Our dog keeps the squirrels away.  One hilarious moment was when our dog caught one, then had no idea what to do - just stared at it for a few seconds and then let it go and started chasing it again.

Not our dog - she killed them and then brought them up on the deck as a trophy.  Then guess who gets to clean up the mess.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Yesterday, I watched a mouse running in a clockwise small circle for about 2 minutes exposed on my concrete patio. It was very weird, it wouldn't run away.
After showing it to my kids, I picked up & put it in one of my flower beds thinking it could find an escape route from there & left.

When I came back, an hour later, 2 blue jays were eating it.

Eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2018, 10:08:02 AM
Yesterday, I watched a mouse running in a clockwise small circle for about 2 minutes exposed on my concrete patio. It was very weird, it wouldn't run away.
After showing it to my kids, I picked up & put it in one of my flower beds thinking it could find an escape route from there & left.

When I came back, an hour later, 2 blue jays were eating it.

Eh.

Check for Black Death!  ;)

But seriously ... it was clearly ill or poisoned.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Yep, that's a good plan for garden security from the varmint monsters. I've considered it but don't really like taking care of a pet.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2018, 08:52:09 PM
Quote from: KRonn on June 08, 2018, 08:18:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2018, 11:22:33 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 01, 2018, 02:02:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2018, 09:41:04 AM

My garden shrunk this year by about 2 feet went from a full 8x8 to 6x8 because I needed a way to access the center now that I have to fence the thing in to keep the squirrels my neighbors feeds out of it.

I'm thinking of building 2 new 4x8 boxes.

Squirrels are a total hassle, but I don't plant anything that squirrels go after. I used to love planting/growing corn, I'd have 80-100 plants. Corn is so good right out of the garden, I didn't even ruin it with butter or salt or anything, it was damn good as is. I got several years of good corn crops...until a woodchuck made an appearance but we got rid of him. Then squirrels found out about corn and were a constant problem, finally I gave up growing corn.  :(

I have a four foot chicken wire fence that keeps out the rabbits I see roaming and feeding off of grass and such. So far no problems there.

I catch & relocate the squirrels. Since May 2017, I've relocated 34 squirrels.
Not a bad idea. Problem is that new ones filter into the area within a couple weeks, or sooner. I have at least four squirrels that roam through my yard, plus many others around the neighborhood.

I'm thinking of introducing a Hawk.

Funny you say that. This weekend as I was going out the door and standing on the outside landing under a roof overhang above the door, a hawk and crow flew right over my head and going just a foot or so off the ground of the front lawn. Looked like the crow was chasing the hawk away. I've had a few bird kills by hawks around my bird feeders.

mongers

Weeks of blue sky and warm temperatures, especially in recent days with it hitting the 30s is getting a little wearing.   :( :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

This is not the England that I signed up for. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2018, 08:05:27 AM
This is not the England that I signed up for. :angry:

:D

Move to damp, green Wales? 

Near to where I used to live, it's currently hitting 33C  :(

KRonn

Very hot and humid here for the last couple days and until about Thursday. Just have to deal with it for a few days until weather changes up a bit.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on July 02, 2018, 09:36:02 AM
Very hot and humid here for the last couple days and until about Thursday. Just have to deal with it for a few days until weather changes up a bit.

Similarly hot here, well touching 90F, but without the humidity, actually really bone dry, so it's not so bad to go out in it, as long as one avoids too much direct sunlight.

HVC

why's it so hotttttt!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2018, 03:12:03 PM
why's it so hotttttt!

Heat warning issued for southern Ontario through Thursday. Humidex up to 43 C.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Ugh. I hate southern Ontario sometimes. To9 hot in the summer too cold in the winter. And we didn't even really have spring this year.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 03, 2018, 09:04:08 PM
Ugh. I hate southern Ontario sometimes. To9 hot in the summer too cold in the winter. And we didn't even really have spring this year.

And you elected Ford - gluttons for punishment you lot  :P