And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2018, 12:09:56 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 30, 2018, 07:48:08 PM
Beautiful weather here lately, continuing most or all week. Got all my garden planted, and it's a lot of work being that it's large for a backyard garden. :) I enjoy it though.

I was worried I put in my garden late.  Glad that someone further south was later than I (even by just a couple of days).

Of course my garden is a 4'x8' garden box. :blush:

The weather here was cool off and on until a couple of weeks ago, so I started late. For beans I usually start mid to end of May, or until the ground warms up and weather has been warm for a bit. I planted peas in early May but should have gotten them going much earlier. They're cool weather crops and may not do well as the weather warms up. I may plant some more in late August into September for a Fall crop. My garden is 30' by 15'.

mongers

June 1st, official start of Summer in the UK.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: KRonn on May 31, 2018, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2018, 12:09:56 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 30, 2018, 07:48:08 PM
Beautiful weather here lately, continuing most or all week. Got all my garden planted, and it's a lot of work being that it's large for a backyard garden. :) I enjoy it though.

I was worried I put in my garden late.  Glad that someone further south was later than I (even by just a couple of days).

Of course my garden is a 4'x8' garden box. :blush:

The weather here was cool off and on until a couple of weeks ago, so I started late. For beans I usually start mid to end of May, or until the ground warms up and weather has been warm for a bit. I planted peas in early May but should have gotten them going much earlier. They're cool weather crops and may not do well as the weather warms up. I may plant some more in late August into September for a Fall crop. My garden is 30' by 15'.

My garden shrunk this year by about 2 feet went from a full 8x8 to 6x8 because I needed a way to access the center now that I have to fence the thing in to keep the squirrels my neighbors feeds out of it.

I'm thinking of building 2 new 4x8 boxes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2018, 09:41:04 AM

My garden shrunk this year by about 2 feet went from a full 8x8 to 6x8 because I needed a way to access the center now that I have to fence the thing in to keep the squirrels my neighbors feeds out of it.

Squirrels are a total hassle, but I don't plant anything that squirrels go after. I used to love planting/growing corn, I'd have 80-100 plants. Corn is so good right out of the garden, I didn't even ruin it with butter or salt or anything, it was damn good as is. I got several years of good corn crops...until a woodchuck made an appearance but we got rid of him. Then squirrels found out about corn and were a constant problem, finally I gave up growing corn.  :(

I have a four foot chicken wire fence that keeps out the rabbits I see roaming and feeding off of grass and such. So far no problems there.

Eddie Teach

Butter never ruins anything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 01, 2018, 02:18:47 PM
Butter never ruins anything.

Hehe, I usually like butter on corn on the cobb but really, for me, when it comes right out of the garden it's so tasty/sweet as its just been picked literally minutes ago. The longer corn takes to get from field to table it loses some taste. The good thing about growing your own is that you have many varieties to choose from, many more than you find in the market. Same goes for most crops for a back yard garden,   :)

grumbler

So, anyway, I was driving home last Wednesday night from a cabin at Graves Mountain in central Virginia, on a road that travels the Rose River valley.  Less than ten minutes after I passed the last bridge, a flash flood swept through, killing one woman and carrying another away (though she was later rescued).
http://www.starexponent.com/news/woman-swept-away-in-flash-flooding-near-graves-mountain-lodge/article_4ae3179c-b0f8-5873-859c-aee50b78c779.html

Too close for comfort!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Indeed! That was much too close Grumbler! 

Weather here the last two days has been cool, a bit Autumn like.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2018, 09:11:04 PM
So, anyway, I was driving home last Wednesday night from a cabin at Graves Mountain in central Virginia, on a road that travels the Rose River valley.  Less than ten minutes after I passed the last bridge, a flash flood swept through, killing one woman and carrying another away (though she was later rescued).
http://www.starexponent.com/news/woman-swept-away-in-flash-flooding-near-graves-mountain-lodge/article_4ae3179c-b0f8-5873-859c-aee50b78c779.html

Too close for comfort!

Holy crap!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: KRonn on June 01, 2018, 02:02:34 PM

Squirrels are a total hassle, but I don't plant anything that squirrels go after. I used to love planting/growing corn, I'd have 80-100 plants. Corn is so good right out of the garden, I didn't even ruin it with butter or salt or anything, it was damn good as is. I got several years of good corn crops...until a woodchuck made an appearance but we got rid of him. Then squirrels found out about corn and were a constant problem, finally I gave up growing corn.  :(

I have a four foot chicken wire fence that keeps out the rabbits I see roaming and feeding off of grass and such. So far no problems there.

I catch & relocate the squirrels. Since May 2017, I've relocated 34 squirrels.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2018, 11:22:33 AM

Not a bad idea. Problem is that new ones filter into the area within a couple weeks, or sooner. I have at least four squirrels that roam through my yard, plus many others around the neighborhood.

PDH

We have entered the sweet spot here in Santa Cruz.  Mornings are about 53 degrees, maybe with some fog or coastal clouds.  It warms up to 74 and the sun is out in full by mid afternoon.  This lasts every day until September.

Locals here still wear down coats in the mornings.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Quote from: KRonn on June 08, 2018, 08:18:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2018, 11:22:33 AM

Not a bad idea. Problem is that new ones filter into the area within a couple weeks, or sooner. I have at least four squirrels that roam through my yard, plus many others around the neighborhood.

I'm thinking of introducing a Hawk.

Barrister

I have our Yukon rescue dog who lives in the backyard.  She does a fine job of keeping the squirrels away - even has a running tally of one squirrel, one ground squirrel, and one mouse she has caught.

Of course I have to put up some garden fencing to keep the dog out of the garden, but still a wise trade-off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
I have our Yukon rescue dog who lives in the backyard.  She does a fine job of keeping the squirrels away - even has a running tally of one squirrel, one ground squirrel, and one mouse she has caught.

Of course I have to put up some garden fencing to keep the dog out of the garden, but still a wise trade-off.

Our dog keeps the squirrels away.  One hilarious moment was when our dog caught one, then had no idea what to do - just stared at it for a few seconds and then let it go and started chasing it again.