News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I can breath again. Winds have shifted toward the east, and the smoke has most dissipated from around here.

Still only 5% contained, and over 30,000 acres destroyed.

LINK

QuotePORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Officials say another two homes were destroyed in the Columbia River Gorge wildfire, but the blaze barely grew overnight and firefighters established some containment lines.

Lt. Damon Simmons of the Oregon State Fire Marshal's office said Thursday the homes are in the same area where one previously burned. Simmons said he does not know if people lived in them.

The fire has scorched 52 square miles (33,000 acres) and is 5 percent contained. Evacuation levels remain unchanged.

Temperatures have cooled and Simmons says firefighters should make good progress if the weather cooperates.

Meanwhile, Multnomah County Sheriff Mike Reese says deputies arrested a 23-year-old man on charges of theft by deception and a parole violation. Reese says Cody Cunningham tried to obtain clothing from a firefighting crew. Reese says he does not know Cunningham's intentions, but "certainly they were not good."

Advertisement

For more on the fire: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5584/
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Take my breathe away.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

60 goddamned magnificent degrees out. Right now.

Man, if it takes a few hurricanes to get this kind of weather, well...on behalf of a grateful nation and all that, Texas and Florida.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2017, 07:50:02 PM

Man, if it takes a few hurricanes to get this kind of weather, well...on behalf of a grateful nation and all that, Texas and Florida.

Supposed to stay in the 70's for the next week here. If we can skip the September mugginess, I'd be pleased.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

We got the same, problem is it's both day and night and 15 degrees at night is too goddamn much
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 07, 2017, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 07, 2017, 09:04:13 PM
Limbaugh said the models were all BS

He should know, he's on the radio.

Whatever else you say about Rush, he is a world leading expert on BS.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

60? ugh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Irma's eye is grazing Cuba with winds of 160mph

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

A colleague bought a house on one of those waterways in Cape Coral recently. I hope he got good insurance...

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2017, 05:01:50 AM
A colleague bought a house on one of those waterways in Cape Coral recently. I hope he got good insurance...

That is where I went to high school (well fort myers). Why the fuck would he buy a house there? It would be a blessing for him to have it destroyed by the hurricane.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

I'm sure this isn't a metaphor for anything.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on September 09, 2017, 12:44:54 PM
I'm sure this isn't a metaphor for anything.

I hear golfing overtook fiddling some time ago.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2017, 10:45:09 PM
Irma's eye is grazing Cuba with winds of 160mph

Kickass!  The Hurricane will just stop about 50 miles from house!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2017, 04:21:40 PM

Kickass!  The Hurricane Depression will just stop about 50 miles from house!

Corrected that for you, and hopefully this is what happens.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

My brother and his wife just moved to St. Pete two months ago. :glare:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son