News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Damn. I hope that is near Galveston Bay and not over by Port Arthur.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Dude that posted the photo put up a map saying it's between some place called Cheek and Beaumont itself, so closer to Port Arthur than Galveston.  GPS data from the phone could have been jacked up when the photo was taken though, obviously.

E:

As a side note, the "Things to do in Cheek, TX" Facebook page is...well there's nothing to do except shop at Nina's.  Just in case anyone was wondering.  https://www.facebook.com/places/Things-to-do-in-Cheek-Texas/110356302315998/

Valmy

Well damn. Port Arthur must be Atlantis by now if that is the case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

It's not as deep as it looks at first glance (thankfully), or at least I don't think so.  Those waves on the left are probably breaking on a concrete highway median barrier thing, plus you can get an idea of the depth from how much of the sign is visible.  A couple feet or so? 

It's real bad either way. 

E:  Oh in other storm news, Osteen's dumb ass finally opened his stadium/megachurch/home of the Dream Shake to evacuees after some quality public shaming.

E2:  Ah, okay. There's some video and more photos up on the Shag from the same place, just on the other side of where those waves are breaking:

Vidya; https://www.facebook.com/mike.anderson.7921/videos/vb.1112438269/10210513707494924/?type=2&theater

That barrier is holding like a champ.

jimmy olsen

Crazy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/29/harvey-marks-the-most-extreme-rain-event-in-u-s-history/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.bc0806dfcb4a
QuoteNielsen-Gammon found Harvey's total rainfall concentrated over a 20,000-square-mile area represents nearly 19 times the daily discharge of the Mississippi River, by far the most of any tropical system ever recorded.

By the way, I've seen forecasts for another weather system to roll into Houston next week and dump another 10-20 inches of rain. Let's hope they're wrong, or Houston is fucked.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

:cry:

https://twitter.com/EricPattonPsi/status/902811326623383552
Quote911 in Port Arthur is no longer functional, you have to directly contact the coast guard. Reports the levee has failed.

https://twitter.com/JordanCordel/status/902789307995271168
QuotePort Arthur, TX is trending on twitter from ppl begging to be rescued from their homes. This is the saddest thing I've ever witnessed.

Disaster
https://twitter.com/Practicalintuit/status/902836124606803970
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2017, 06:28:55 AM
Forecast doesn't look good

You're right, we're looking at rain in Maryland for the holiday weekend.  Dammit.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2017, 06:30:25 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2017, 06:28:55 AM
Forecast doesn't look good

You're right, we're looking at rain in Maryland for the holiday weekend.  Dammit.

I meant the 10 plus inches for Houston on the 5-6th. Ass  :lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Big yellow splotch headed straight for Spicy and Ed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 30, 2017, 09:14:39 AM

That's the Steelers road game.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2017, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 30, 2017, 09:14:39 AM

That's the Steelers road game.

:pinch:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

My buddy's family is staying put.  Weather was decent yesterday and they had a huge neighborhood cookout.  They still have electricity, water, and enough food staples. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk