News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It's at 108.05 feet so it's over spilling around the edge now.

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2110?R=1
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

It is going to make landfall again soon yes? We were expecting it to go right up East Texas but now it looks like it is headed further east in Caliga's direction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2017, 06:56:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2017, 08:37:32 PM
So lazy urban planning has contributed towards turning the 4th biggest US city into a giant paddling pool?  <_<

Houston famously doesn't do urban planning.

Those reservoirs were built in the late 1940s to protect a population of 450K, and they haven't seen a major improvement until 2016 for a population of 2.3M.

Sounds lazy to me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2017, 07:46:08 AM
It's at 108.05 feet so it's over spilling around the edge now.

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2110?R=1

That is a reservoir just west of Houston on I-10 in case anybody is wondering.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2017, 07:54:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2017, 06:56:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2017, 08:37:32 PM
So lazy urban planning has contributed towards turning the 4th biggest US city into a giant paddling pool?  <_<

Houston famously doesn't do urban planning.

Those reservoirs were built in the late 1940s to protect a population of 450K, and they haven't seen a major improvement until 2016 for a population of 2.3M.

Sounds lazy to me.

Houston does not do zoning and just sort of let their city grow like a tumor. It is the libertarian city. Or at least that is the reputation I am not some expert on Houston.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2017, 07:53:36 AM
It is going to make landfall again soon yes? We were expecting it to go right up East Texas but now it looks like it is headed further east in Caliga's direction.

Not that soon

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

I left the control center at 7 AM yesterday and I slept a lot after that so I am a little out of the loop.

derspiess

My buddy lives just northwest of Houston.  When they moved there a few years ago they wisely bought a house in a planned community that was built on high ground.  They are like an island at this point.  Hopefully they have enough food.  They definitely have enough beer, with what I sent him back with from the beach.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2017, 08:11:23 AM
My buddy live just northwest of Houston.  When they moved there a few years ago they wisely bought a house in a planned community that was built on high ground.  They are like an island at this point.  Hopefully they have enough food.  They definitely have enough beer, with what I sent him back with from the beach.

Are they evacuating? The storm is not done with Houston yet.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2017, 08:18:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2017, 08:11:23 AM
My buddy live just northwest of Houston.  When they moved there a few years ago they wisely bought a house in a planned community that was built on high ground.  They are like an island at this point.  Hopefully they have enough food.  They definitely have enough beer, with what I sent him back with from the beach.

Are they evacuating? The storm is not done with Houston yet.

As of now, no.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well I would encourage them to do so if they are able.

derspiess

They say they're on some pretty high ground.  I'll have to trust their judgment.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2017, 08:28:03 AM
They say they're on some pretty high ground.  I'll have to trust their judgment.

Well I hope they are ok. Insane week ahead for Houston.

MadBurgerMaker

Admiral Yi