News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

What kind of heating system do you have Beiber?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2017, 11:17:46 PM
What kind of heating system do you have Beiber?

Natural gas, but thermostat and forced air all run on electricity.  I don't know how they'd work otherwise - sure maybe the furnace can turn on, but without the fans it would do nothing to heat the house.

It was a good reminder about the value of getting to bed early though.  Since there was nothing really to do, I was in bed ready to go to sleep when I was typing that last message on my phone and the power came back on.  I did get up and watch a bit of tv, but I was still in bed, light out at 10, and I feel pretty darn good this morning as a result. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: PDH on January 10, 2017, 09:59:13 PM
It has rained about 6 inches here so far this month - about 18 inches in the coastal mountains.  The Sierra have been pummeled - Snow, rain, blizzard in that order.  Last night it snowed 48 inches outside of South Lake Tahoe.  They are flooding the emergency areas north of Sacramento now, too much too soon for the resevoirs.

At least the snowpack is above normal for this time of year.  I am in California now, I watch the water level.

There's this road called Henness Pass that goes over the mountains. It's not actually a road anymore, but the old Wells Fargo stagecoach trail. This summer I drove the entire thing from Verdi to Camptonville over the mountains. Some of the trail is ok and used by loggers, but other parts are definitely not something you can take the family camry through. Anyway, with these storms recently I-80 has been closed. Apparently peoples' GPS devices are telling them to take Henness Pass as an alternate route and they are getting stuck up there. The authorities are tired of having to rescue people, sometimes by helicopter.  :P  Now all the local news stations are telling people not to try going that way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Non-sticking snow in London right now. <_<

Happy to be heading West on Saturday. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Was in Chicago for most of the week.  It was above freezing and raining most of the time.

Got back to Louisville and it was just shy of 70F. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Yeah it is now 60 degrees warmer here than it was this weekend.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 03:39:16 PM
Yeah it is now 60 degrees warmer here than it was this weekend.
It was weird walking a block in Chicago without a coat, in January, and not being cold.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

It's supposed to go above freezing starting on the weekend.  Hey I don't like this 20 below crap, but nobody wants melting snow either.  :mad:

LaCroix

I was promised warmer weather and less wind in central best dakota. this has not been the case.  :weep:

am considering moving to the west coast in 4-5 years, after 3-4 years of private practice

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on January 12, 2017, 05:42:21 PM
I was promised warmer weather and less wind in central best dakota. this has not been the case.  :weep:

am considering moving to the west coast in 4-5 years, after 3-4 years of private practice

My facebook feed is full of Manitobans moaning (justifiably!) about the brutal cold and snow they're getting - I don't imagine it's much better in ND. :console:

LaCroix

I don't know how much snow has fallen in manitoba, but the weather there seems much colder

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on January 12, 2017, 05:42:21 PM

Remember to stay in the eastern bits of West Coast states. :secret:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2017, 06:18:11 PMRemember to stay in the eastern bits of West Coast states. :secret:

the eastern parts are the hellholes  :lol:

I was thinking portland or seattle

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on January 12, 2017, 06:19:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2017, 06:18:11 PMRemember to stay in the eastern bits of West Coast states. :secret:

the eastern parts are the hellholes  :lol:

I was thinking portland or seattle

Really? I'd have no idea. ;)

Also, if you struggle with the 'liberal anti-Trump agenda' of Languish, not sure how you'd survive those two cities.