Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Have been some nice sunsets on the last couple of evenings:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Red sky at night, sailor's delight!

Wonderful colours in those sunsets.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2018, 09:41:37 AM

I always figured that was like a red light district joke :D

Pretty pictures though
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 25, 2018, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2018, 09:41:37 AM

I always figured that was like a red light district joke :D

Pretty pictures though

What about red sky at morning, sailor take warning?  :hmm:

Still works!  :lol:

But seriously - those old weather sayings do, in fact, "work" (more or less). You can, to an extent, predict the weather if you are familiar with the locale from wind direction, clouds ("Mackerel sky, mackerel sky. Never long wet and never long dry"), etc. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Mackerel skies and mares' tails make tall ships carry low sails!

.......aaaarrr!

mongers

And so GMT begins.  :bowler:

Not going to like sunset before 5pm and even earlier.  <_<

Ah well, 154 days before BST returns.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

We don't get standard time here for another two weeks - bike lights in the AM for me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: PDH on October 27, 2018, 11:01:26 PM
We don't get standard time here for another two weeks - bike lights in the AM for me.

Google says you change next week (Nov 4).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

It's goddamn snowing. The lovely fall we've had the last couple of weeks is over. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Finally get our year's worth of rain. Finally getting a chance to have lunch out of the office as I'll be drenched even if I hoof it back. :D :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2018, 11:53:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on October 27, 2018, 11:01:26 PM

Google says you change next week (Nov 4).
I tend to lose track of time in the dark.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Tonight we go under 0C/32F for the first time this fall. Too cold for Texans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

We've had a couple of freezes with a couple over the last week Going to rain tomorrow in eastern/southern New England but be in the 50sF. Some snow and sleet in western Massachusetts and northern New England states, not supposed to amount to much. It'll get colder mid week. We don't usually get snow in November in eastern Mass, that usually happens in December onward.

PDH

It has gotten down to about 47f (around 8c) at night here.  For native Santa Cruz types that is the equivalent of below zero. 
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM