News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

For the first time in a while, I broke out my snow boots so as not to slip on the non-salted sidewalks. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2018, 04:30:08 PM
Beautiful hometown you have there Duque.

Yes everyone on Langish should visit him ...

.... on mass.  :menace:

Duque, send the invites out, please.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2018, 04:42:52 PM
For the first time in a while, I broke out my snow boots so as not to slip on the non-salted pavements. <_<

FYP.  :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2018, 04:47:54 PM
On mass? :hmm:

Well I could have used the 'French', but though D would appreciate the faux Britishism.  :bowler:

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2018, 04:47:54 PM
On mass? :hmm:

The Church holds them regularly and has a large capacity.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 28, 2018, 04:47:05 PM

Yes everyone on Langish should visit him ...

.... on mass.  :menace:

Duque, send the invites out, please.  :D

Well, Bragança as a diocese has a cathedral, ugly though, so it's logistically possible.  :P

Thanks Valmy, snow does wonders to cities, it's the second snow episode this winter, not exactly uncommon but it does not happen every year.

Tamas

Had a surprising amount of snow by the time I was driving home from work. Well, still by English standards, but enough to require careful driving and avoiding of sudden breaking.

My enthusiasm to drive to work tomorrow, when all of this could be worse, is limited. Then again our area only got a yellow warning so I don't have justification not to do so :p

KRonn

Agreed, very scenic looking with the castle and walls, with the hillsides in the background.  :)

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/01/uk-is-running-out-of-gas-national-grid-warns-freezing-weather

QuoteUK is running out of gas, National Grid warns
Perfect storm of freezing weather and supply problems prompts rare call for more fuel immediately

National Grid has issued a warning that the UK will not have enough gas to meet demand on Thursday, as temperatures plummeted and imports were hit by outages.

It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but if enough extra gas supplies by pipeline or ship are not forthcoming, it could affect industrial users.

Within-day wholesale gas prices soared 74% to 200p per therm after the formal deficit warning, which acts as a call to suppliers to bring forward more gas on Thursday. Prices have since fallen back to 170p.

National Grid's forecast for the day shows a shortfall across the day of 49.5m cubic metres below the country's projected need of 395.7mcm. National Grid's warning aims to fill that gap.

Widespread snow and temperatures of -7.8C due to the "Beast from the East" and Storm Emma have prompted consumers to fire up their heating. Public health authorities recommend an indoor temperature of 18C.

As a result gas demand is at a five-year high, according to market watchers Platts.

The situation has been compounded by several outages to supply, including problems with a pipeline to the Netherlands, reductions in gas flows from Norway and technical issues at facilities in the UK, including the North Morecambe Barrow terminal.

The jump in gas prices is much higher than the one in December after a major North Sea pipeline was closed for repairs.

The crunch is also the UK's first major energy security test since the country's biggest gas storage facility was closed by Centrica last year. The Rough site in the North Sea had accounted for 70% of the UK's gas storage.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: KRonn on February 28, 2018, 07:22:16 PM

Agreed, very scenic looking with the castle and walls, with the hillsides in the background.  :)

Thanks, credit goes to the photographer, definitively postcard material.

Back in Paris, last snow of the season, 2 cm and melting.
In the south of France, trouble once more, people stuck again in the Marseille-Montpellier-Toulouse motorway, with 5-10 cm at most.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 01, 2018, 06:56:05 AM
Quote from: KRonn on February 28, 2018, 07:22:16 PM

Thanks, credit goes to the photographer, definitively postcard material.

Back in Paris, last snow of the season, 2 cm and melting.
In the south of France, trouble once more, people stuck again in the Marseille-Montpellier-Toulouse motorway, with 5-10 cm at most.

:cool:

Noon day high here of -2.6C and driving powdery snow, I suspect England has ground to a halt.  :bowler:

Off out in the snow to do some necessary errands; shanks' pony.

Eddie Teach

Why'd you shank the pony?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 01, 2018, 09:43:31 AM
Why'd you shank the pony?

Variously, Shank's, Shanks Shanks's pony or  nag.

Eddie Teach

Everything makes sense now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?