News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I ventured out yesterday because I realized I was out of energy drinks & I just wasn't in a coffee drinking mood.  Had fun chipping the ice off my car and watching Tommy slide around on the 3 inches of solid ice in the front yard.  When we got back we got the tube and sleds out and I did a test run of the back yard sledding trail.  Holy shit was that fast and dangerous.  I had to close the backyard slope but allowed Tommy to slide around in the front.  On the tube we was like a pinball, bouncing off our house, then off the neighbor's house, then ours again.

Roads were surprisingly still not clear this morning.  Was somehow more difficult to get out of the driveway today than it was yesterday.

But with all the ice, we were lucky-- no power loss.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

We got about ten inches, just under a foot of snow. Heavy stuff though, tough to shovel and the snowblower struggled at times, had to go slow. Other parts of Mass, western/northern, got more snow.

Now apparently the much bigger storm that was supposed to hit Sunday-Monday is going to miss southern New England, going further north and maybe weakening.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 10:27:33 AM
Roads were surprisingly still not clear this morning.  Was somehow more difficult to get out of the driveway today than it was yesterday.
Yeah, I couldn't get out.  Got stuck on the hill and after about 10 minutes was able to get my car back onto the driveway and into the garage.  Working from home today.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on February 06, 2014, 11:39:20 AM
Yeah, I couldn't get out.  Got stuck on the hill and after about 10 minutes was able to get my car back onto the driveway and into the garage.  Working from home today.

I'd have worked from home were it not for cabin fever. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Porthleven in Cornwall.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 11:58:41 AM
I'd have worked from home were it not for cabin fever.
Well, I literally had no choice, as I have tons of crap to do/meetings today and cannot get my car up the hill... I would have preferred not to for sure.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I am now hoarding what is left of MAH SALTS in an attempt to get thru winter. I have closed the gates to my neighbors and if they continue to ask for MAH SALTS, I will open fire on them with my MAH AK.

MAH EMERGENCY SUPPLIES are holding out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Dear Journal,

As we approach another nightfall without power, I am considering putting my Mother out of her misery;  while she seems alert and healthy, I cannot take any chances with her suffering during this ordeal.
I pray the pillow to suffocate her works quickly, and brings her peace.

Sheilbh

My parents live near the Piddle River in Dorset, which has now burst its banks. My dad is loving jokes like 'there's piddle everywhere' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2014, 12:05:06 PM
Porthleven in Cornwall.

My colleague's from Cornwall, she says crazy shit's going on there. Like there's this bar, The Watering Hole, sitting on a nice and easy slop towards the beach?

Not any more:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

This reminds me of the 1287 storm.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PJL

Yeah, the South West have taken a battering from the storms. Much of Somerset has under water since the start of the year.

Here's footage of waves coming over Chesil Beach:

http://youtu.be/84EQtsgA0_8