News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Future Force - a game for the Hansmeisters?

Started by Syt, July 03, 2011, 02:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/hps_future_force.html

QuoteHPS Simulations is proud to announce the upcoming release of Future Force, a Jim Lunsford Game.

Future Force Main Game Screen

Future Force was designed to help train military leaders in force management and resource allocation. It is not a traditional type of wargame. Instead, it puts players in the position of a national planner, making decisions about what force structure to create and maintain, where to allocate resources, and how to effectively manage the armed forces' budget during a simulated twenty-year period while facing current and emerging threats.

During the game, the player seeks to find balance between the following tasks:

* Conduct intelligence & counterintelligence
        * Prioritize theaters of operations
        * Manage strategic lift capability
        * Create new units
        * Update existing unit capability
        * Conduct Research & Development

Future Force Conflict Resolution Phase

Future Force models planning, allocation of forces, and research and development. The overall concepts are straightforward, but the game offers players complexity if they want it. With unpredictably (as in real life), each scenario is different, and each game is challenging. Operations take place within Areas of Operation (Peacetime Military Engagement, Irregular Warfare, and Major Combat Operations), and may change during the game year (stability). Unpredictably (as in real life), each game is different, and each game is challenging.

Future Force has proven popular with both military and civilian gamers, and has numerous applications for training, education and competition.

Future Force Game Status Screen

Designer Jim Lunsford served as a U.S. Army infantry officer for twenty years and has done a tour as tactics instructor at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.  Many of the games he has designed are used by the armed forces for training, such as HPS's Decisive Action.

Future Force Play Options:

* Single player vs. the AI
        * Two player hot-seat
        * Internet
        * LAN
        * Play by e-mail

System Requirements:

* 400 MHz Pentium
        * Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
        * 512 MB of RAM
        * 360 MB free space on hard drive
        * CD/DVD drive
        * DirectX version 7 or higher
        * TCP/IP network card and an Internet connection for multi-player games

More about Future Force:

Future Force is a game that teaches force planning and budgeting. Lunsford admits that "as a CGSC student myself, the Army budget process put me to sleep. I was an infantry guy." However, "Future Force" is hardly sleep-inducing. Players must deal with multiple areas of operation, each of which are in various states of conflict. There are a limited number of brigades to allocate among the areas, and each unit type has different strengths (a heavy brigade is better for an area in a state of major combat, for example, while an infantry or Stryker brigade is better for irregular warfare).
    There is also a defense budget, which can be spent on intelligence, research and development, or creating new brigades. Naturally, there's never enough money or troops.

This, like many other of Mr. Lunsford's games'has the purpose of stimulating thinking and promoting discussion. (Ed - paraphrasing, mine)

From a more extnsive article posted at: http://www.tsjonline.com/story.php?F=4698027

More info: http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2011/07/future-force-gameplay-notes-about-this.html

:mellow:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

FunkMonk

That game looks like the programs we use at my work. No thanks.  :yucky:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quotea game for the Hansmeisters?

I don't think it's in PowerPoint.

katmai

But can Sergeants fire their commanding officers?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2011, 05:34:12 AM
So...virtua-quartermaster?
Nope.  Read the description.  It is Virtua-DefMin (SecDef for gringos).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!