Russians angry over Romanian president's justification of 1941 invasion

Started by Syt, June 30, 2011, 01:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2011, 03:09:26 PM

What opponents?  Poland?  Blame that one on the Poles, who refused any defensive pact with the Soviets that would allow Soviet forces to move into Poland and actually, you know, fight Nazis.  (See also, Baltic states.)  Not that I don't understand Poland's position, and maybe I'd have been a dick like Jozef Beck too.  (Except for the part about him taking German bribes.  I looked him up just now basically to recall his name--but that's new.  That wasn't information available when I was doing my thesis on the M-R Pact back in 2006.)

The Poles knew that if the Russians moved troops through Poland they probably would have stayed.  Poland was also pretty much screwed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Anyway, with regard to the OP: is there ever any time when Russians aren't angry? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2011, 03:14:59 PM
Anyway, with regard to the OP: is there ever any time when Russians aren't angry? :hmm:
five seconds or so before they pass out from alcohol poisoning.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

What opponents?  Poland?  Blame that one on the Poles, who refused any defensive pact with the Soviets that would allow Soviet forces to move into Poland and actually, you know, fight Nazis.  (See also, Baltic states.)  Not that I don't understand Poland's position, and maybe I'd have been a dick like Jozef Beck too.  (Except for the part about him taking German bribes.  I looked him up just now basically to recall his name--but that's new.  That wasn't information available when I was doing my thesis on the M-R Pact back in 2006.)

Romania, Yugoslavia, Greece, and so forth.  All the countries interested in the status territorial quo.  The Soviets either attacked them themselves or gave the Germans their blessing to destroy them.  And I am totally sure the Finns would have joined the Germans if Stalin had not attacked them...because you know preparing to fight Nazis is a perfectly logical time to take care of border disputes.  Yeah totally the motherfucking Poles fault.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I think Ide's naive American soft spot for the Soviet Union and Communism in general is pretty cute. Keep it up.

Sahib

(Except for the part about him taking German bribes.  I looked him up just now basically to recall his name--but that's new.  That wasn't information available when I was doing my thesis on the M-R Pact back in 2006.)

Never heard of it. Link?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

grumbler

I'm a lot less knowledgeable about the Romanian invasion than events further north.  Was it more possible to have a working alliance with the Romanians than with the Poles or Balts?  Or even keep them neutral?
I don't think the Soviets could have gotten the Rumanians to declare war on Germany, but with tacit Soviet backing the government might have survived rather than being overthrown by Ion Antonescu.  The Soviets were too busy sucking Nazi cock to recognize their opportunity, though, and it might not have worked.  What is sure is that Soviet toadying to the Nazis killed any chance that Rumania wouldn't see the Nazis as better allies than the Soviets.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sahib on June 30, 2011, 03:50:47 PM
(Except for the part about him taking German bribes.  I looked him up just now basically to recall his name--but that's new.  That wasn't information available when I was doing my thesis on the M-R Pact back in 2006.)

Never heard of it. Link?
Its from a Russian history source, the History Foundation (http://historyfoundation.ru/ru/news_item.php?id=2114) via "Red Ant Liberation Army News" (http://redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/polish-minister-of-foreign-affairs-jozef-beck-was-recruited-by-the-nazis-in-1938/).  The spin placed on it by the Russian "historian" in this piece makes me suspicious, but if the original transcripts are real and translate this way, I certainly could believe it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Actually, Russian historians tend to be the best in the field.  Russian history is a very dynamic field, whereas for example American history tends to be very stale.

The Brain

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 03:14:13 PM
The Poles knew that if the Russians moved troops through Poland they probably would have stayed.  Poland was also pretty much screwed.

They effectively would have been annexed the minute Soviet troops stepped foot in Poland.  That's how Uncle Joe rolled.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Did I miss Ide becoming a Stalin apologist or is it a new thing?

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on June 30, 2011, 05:26:14 PM
Did I miss Ide becoming a Stalin apologist or is it a new thing?

It got worse after he went to law school.