18 (69.2%)
Once Upon a Time in the West
6 (23.1%)
Other?
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Syt

Sergio Leone has created the two top entries in the spaghetti western genre:

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, culmination of the Dollar Trilogy that propelled Eastwood to stardom.

Once Upon a Time in the West, the epic about a killer and a man seeking revenge.

GBU: the movie has more action and is a lot more lighthearted. It's a series of episodic scenes culminating in what is probably the best shootout scene in westerns.

OUATITW: Much more focus on the characters and their relation to one another: Charles Bronson as Harmonica, the nameless stranger seeking revenge. Jason Robards as Cheyenne, the romantic outlaw caught between the lines. Claudia Cardinale as the saintly whore. Henry Fonda as Frank, the coldblooded killer.

I think they're both pretty close in quality, but I give Once Upon . . . the edge - the story is more complex, the characters more interesting. It's slower, more deliberately paced - kind of like the 2001 - A Space Odyssey of spaghetti western. Someone called it "an opera of violence" and that's pretty spot on in my opinion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

TGtBatU is the better Spaghetti Western, as I understand the term, but WUaTitW is the better movie.

The latter is better classed with Leone's Once Upon a Time in Americaas an ode to an art form and isn't as light-hearted (as you note) nor as deliberately cheaply made/anachronistic as the movies I think of as spaghetti westerns (like Navajo Joe or the Hill and Spencer movies).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2011, 01:42:42 PM
TGtBatU is the better Spaghetti Western, as I understand the term, but WUaTitW is the better movie.

That's a good point.  :hmm:

Supposedly, Leone was "forced" to make the movie - he wanted to do Once Upon A Time In America, but the studio insisted he make another Western first.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

TGTBTU was both a better western and a better movie. Once upon a time was a good movie but definitely overindulgent in parts(the opening scene with the flies for one).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 28, 2011, 01:56:54 PM
TGTBTU was both a better western and a better movie. Once upon a time was a good movie but definitely overindulgent in parts(the opening scene with the flies for one).

:blink:

The opening scene is great.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 28, 2011, 01:56:54 PM
I rather enjoyed the over-indulgences, but can see why others wouldn't.  I feel the same way about Once Upon a Time in America and Miller's crossing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pedrito

Other: For a few Dollars More

There seems to be a family resemblance

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Once Upon A Time In America is a snorefest only broken up by multiple rape scenes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2011, 05:09:20 PM
Once Upon A Time In America is a snorefest only broken up by multiple rape scenes.

Yup.

OttoVonBismarck

My avatar would suggest The Good, the Bad and the Ugly but I actually think Once Upon a Time in the West is the better movie overall. They're both amazing, but two things edge OUTW out as the leader for me:

1. Henry Fonda is a very good villain, better than Lee Van Cleef which says a lot because in TGTB&TU he's one of the best villains ever.

2. Charles Bronson in OUTW as the protagonist slightly edges out Clint Eastwood in TGTB&TU.

I think Eli Wallach is better than Jason Robards as the third, ambiguous anti-hero, but with OUTW having the better lead villain and the better main protagonist I think it wins out overall.

I think the pacing of both movies is more personal preference, I enjoy both and I sort of find them mutually exclusive in that if I'm in the mood to watch OUTW it's a totally different mood than when I want to watch TGTB&TU.

Siege

Best spaghetti westerns?

The ones with Trence Hill and Bud Spencer.
They were extremely popular in Israel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2011, 01:42:42 PM

The latter is better classed with Leone's Once Upon a Time in Americaas an ode to an art form and isn't as light-hearted (as you note) nor as deliberately cheaply made/anachronistic as the movies I think of as spaghetti westerns (like Navajo Joe or the Hill and Spencer movies).

I tend to agree with this.

Quote from: The BrainOnce Upon A Time In America is a snorefest only broken up by multiple rape scenes.

Have you seen the director's cut?  My understanding is that the studio forced cuts that chopped up the theatrical release so badly that all the dramatic tension got leeched out.  The director's cut is supposed to be much better, but I've not seen it.  OTOH, the director's cut is well over 4 hours long, so...

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on June 28, 2011, 06:48:16 PM
Best spaghetti westerns?

The ones with Trence Hill and Bud Spencer.
They were extremely popular in Israel.

You know, I always thought Westerns would work well in Israel.  Desert, settlers, angry natives.

Anyway, GBU.  Eli Wallach is great.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017