News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dishes of the days bygone

Started by Martinus, June 27, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So what are some of the dishes you used to eat and enjoy a lot (perhaps as a child, or perhaps later on in your life), but don't anymore - maybe they take a lot of effort to make, or you can't eat them for health reasons or for some other reason?

For me it's:
- "racuchy" (sort of dough dumplings filled with slices of apple, deep fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon),
- pancakes,
- fruit milkshakes.

The first two are too fattening, and I can't be arsed to make fruit milkshakes (and the ones available at restaurants are just not that good as the ones made by my grandma),.

MadImmortalMan

Ketchup.

I used to eat it on things as a kid, but now I never do. Mostly because it's downright nasty.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Salo.  I couldn't tolerate it once my taste buds developed.

dps

I've cut out milkshakes and candy for health reasons, except for sugar-free candy, which I don't buy much because it's too ridiculous how much it costs compared to regular candy.

Some of my specialties that I cook myself I hardly ever make anymore because I just don't seem to have the time to do any real cooking.  :(

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 27, 2011, 04:15:03 PM
Ketchup.

I used to eat it on things as a kid, but now I never do. Mostly because it's downright nasty.
i actually still like no name brand ketchups. Heinz, however, is way too sweet and i can't stand it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Not really a dish, but i used to drink a lot of coke as a kid, but i haven't drank it in years. Scrambled eggs too. eventually hit the point where i was just sick of it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 27, 2011, 04:20:42 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 27, 2011, 04:15:03 PM
Ketchup.

i actually still like no name brand ketchups. Heinz, however, is way too sweet and i can't stand it.

I don't know when it was when I realized just how sweet Heinz is, but I'm now at the point I can't stand it for just that reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 27, 2011, 04:07:27 PM
- "racuchy" (sort of dough dumplings filled with slices of apple, deep fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon)

BTW, that sounds delicious.

Maximus

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 27, 2011, 04:07:27 PM
- "racuchy" (sort of dough dumplings filled with slices of apple, deep fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon)

BTW, that sounds delicious.
I wonder if that name is at all related to rollkuchen, which is a very similar dish.

Slargos

Pancakes. Waffles. Blood pudding with lingonberry jam. :mmm:

As for dessert, I used to make this cake with three layers of whipped-cream mixed with marangue and Daim, topped with those little jelly strawberries. My parents complained about the insane sugar content, but I never got it. Marvellous treat. I should really try one out one of these days. See if my heart stops or not, as they claimed it eventually would.

Slargos

Fuck. You. Marty.

This thread just made me ridiculously hungry, and my fridge is bachelor-filled.

Maximus

I was ridiculously hungry before I opened this thread. Fortunately that blood pudding pic cured me. freakin vampires.

Jacob

That is not your fridge Slargos. Your kitchen cannot possibly look like that.

Besides, the writing on the foodand bills on the fridge are all in English.

Slargos

Quote from: Maximus on June 27, 2011, 05:02:39 PM
I was ridiculously hungry before I opened this thread. Fortunately that blood pudding pic cured me. freakin vampires.

Funnily enough, it's one of those dishes you are instantly converted to after you try it.  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2011, 05:03:59 PM
That is not your fridge Slargos. Your kitchen cannot possibly look like that.

Besides, the writing on the foodand bills on the fridge are all in English.

Artist's rendition. I claim aesthetic freedom from your bourgeoise notions of reality and ownership.