News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Afghanistan Cut 'N' Run

Started by Admiral Yi, June 23, 2011, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Surprised no thread yet.

Anyhoo, Obama has announced 10,000 out by the end of this year and 23,000 more next year.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 05:50:25 PM
Surprised no thread yet.

Anyhoo, Obama has announced 10,000 out by the end of this year and 23,000 more next year.

Is it that significant ?

What matters is negotiating a peace deal with the Taliban, where they're brought into a coalition Afghan government; that would be the bigger influence on the long term success or failure of the US intervention in the country.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2011, 06:00:04 PM
Is it that significant ?

Is it how significant?  Significant enough to warrant a thread? :unsure:

My main motivation was to crow to Shelf and his ilk that it was not really a deadline when originally announced.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 06:14:58 PM
Is it that significant ?

Is it how significant?  Significant enough to warrant a thread? :unsure:

My main motivation was to crow to Shelf and his ilk that it was not really a deadline when originally announced.

It would have been very significant if Obama had gone with the big rapid draw-down after the mini-surge, but I think the recent announcement of talks with the taliban if far more important, did we have a thread on it ? 

I think there can only really be a political 'solution' to the Afghan problem, wars in that country seem all but unwinable.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 05:50:25 PM
Surprised no thread yet.

Is it that significant ?

What matters is negotiating a peace deal with the Taliban, where they're brought into a coalition Afghan government; that would be the bigger influence on the long term success or failure of the US intervention in the country.

As significant as 99% of the other thread starts, I'd say.

I will admit I was a bit surprised by this. Or, well, I guess that's the wrong word. They obviously weren't going to stay forever. I doubt the Afghans are ready to fend for themselves though.

Vietnam all over again.

jimmy olsen

The thread title is ridiculous. There will still be 68,000 troops in Afghanistan after this drawdown, twice as many as there was in 2008.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2011, 06:39:15 PM
The thread title is ridiculous. There will still be 68,000 troops in Afghanistan after this drawdown, twice as many as there was in 2008.

Where'd you get those numbers from Timmy?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 06:46:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2011, 06:39:15 PM

Where'd you get those numbers from Timmy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43509129/ns/politics-white_house/
Quotethere's still some fighting to be done, and then we're still going to have 68,000 and, frankly, the 10th Mountain Division is still going to be represented there until we've fully transferred to the Afghan military and security forces."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_combat_operations_in_Afghanistan_in_2008#United_States
QuoteThe United States had 32,500 military personnel (of which 23,550 were with ISAF) in Afghanistan in 2008.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

By peace deal, do you mean surrender?  Because that's how those things tend to go.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Yeah Timmy, that 68 number seems to be all troops, not just US.  Notice in the same sentence he talks about surging 33,000.  You can't surge 33,000, withdraw 33,000, then end up with twice the troops you started with.

MadImmortalMan

We don't want those assholes running anything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Wouldn't it be easier to support the Afghan government from a distance, and if the Taliban starts to take over to intervene again? It has been 10 years.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Slargos on June 23, 2011, 06:30:25 PM

As significant as 99% of the other thread starts, I'd say.

I will admit I was a bit surprised by this. Or, well, I guess that's the wrong word. They obviously weren't going to stay forever. I doubt the Afghans are ready to fend for themselves though.

Vietnam all over again.

I disagree, in Vietnam the country last the appetite for the fight, but here the fight has just become pointless. There aren't reasonable ways to eliminate every taliban, or make a country like Afghanistan a western style democracy. This is as good as we can reasonably expect to do. If the Taliban starts a comeback, we won't send helicopters to evacuate Kabul--we will send ground units beat the Taliban back.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 23, 2011, 06:58:57 PM

Nobody does.  But I'm getting so tired of supporting assholes like Karzai.

As long as the Taliban understands that we will glass them if they harbor al Qaeda, they can have that shitty country.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2011, 07:16:45 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 23, 2011, 06:58:57 PM

Nobody does.  But I'm getting so tired of supporting assholes like Karzai.

As long as the Taliban understands that we will glass them if they harbor al Qaeda, they can have that shitty country.

He and his kleptomaniac inner circle have a disaster for the country and process of recovery.