News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most over-rated modern-day dogma

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

This is a thread to post nominations for a vote for the most overrated modern day's dogma - an "evident truth" or an ideological position that hardly anyone ever challenges anymore.

My nomination: the self-determination of nations. Case in point: Africa and Quebec.

Faeelin

Surely Poland is a better example of people's who aren't up to self-determination? What with the whole masturbatory fantasy of being a great power while bashing Jews.

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on June 22, 2011, 03:48:54 PM
Surely Poland is a better example of people's who aren't up to self-determination? What with the whole masturbatory fantasy of being a great power while bashing Jews.

I tend to agree. While freeing us up from the Russian dominance was a good thing, I think we would have been better off if we stayed with Prussians after WWI.

Slargos

Jews. Racism. Multiculturalism. Secularism. Sorcery. Communism. Feminism. Take your fucking pick.

The names and causes may change, but mass-psychosis stays the same.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM
This is a thread to post nominations for a vote for the most overrated modern day's dogma - an "evident truth" or an ideological position that hardly anyone ever challenges anymore.

My nomination: the self-determination of nations. Case in point: Africa and Quebec.

I don't want to be a contrarian prick, but this is languish so I feel the need to be to an extent.  :P Is Quebec a good example as a majority has expressed a desire to stay in Canada?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 22, 2011, 04:04:43 PM
"Freud/Marx is discredited."

Although I wish this one is true. The amount of poison that spread in our societies riding in on the coattails of the good ideas is catastrophic. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Africa isn't a nation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 04:10:01 PM

Although I wish this one is true. The amount of poison that spread in our societies riding in on the coattails of the good ideas is catastrophic. :(

Very true, but I think one could say the same about Locke, Hegel, Bentham, or any number of influential thinkers.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 22, 2011, 04:31:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 04:10:01 PM

Very true, but I think one could say the same about Locke, Hegel, Bentham, or any number of influential thinkers.

Freud was working in the field of medicine, something that deserves scientific scrutiny.  The same can't be said of Locke or Kant.  Under the eye of science many of his theories are nonsense and can be disproven.  Some other stuff can't be test at all and thus isn't science.  His interpretation of dreams has more in common with magic then it does medicine and his "psycho-history" is just mental masturbation.  His treatments weren't nearly as successful as he claimed they were (in fact they don't seem to have cured anyone).  There is some evidence that he falsified his records.

Marx worked in economics something I'm a bit more wary at, but there is some math in that and some things can be proven false.  Most of his predictions didn't come to pass (obviously).  Someone who knows more about economics could answer that one better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Marx is totally and utterly discredited.  You can either provide incentives to people to perform work or you can coerce it.  It definitely doesn't spring from class solidarity and revolutionary fervor.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2011, 05:00:18 PM

Marx is totally and utterly discredited.  You can either provide incentives to people to perform work or you can coerce it.  It definitely doesn't spring from class solidarity and revolutionary fervor.

You don't think ideology can persuade people to act in a manner other than their rational self-interest?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on June 22, 2011, 05:02:54 PM
You don't think ideology can persuade people to act in a manner other than their rational self-interest?

You think a positive answer to that question follows naturally from my previous statement?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2011, 05:06:05 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 22, 2011, 05:02:54 PM

You think a positive answer to that question follows naturally from my previous statement?

Do you think that he thinks that a positive answer to his question follows from your original statement?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014