Videotaping to police from your front yard is apparently illegal

Started by Berkut, June 22, 2011, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

What kind of bothers me about this (Well, one thing anyway - there are plenty of things to be bothered about) is that she is going to go into court, and it is going to be thrown out. No DA is going to touch this, I am guessing.

But is that it? Because exercising the power to arrest when in fact the law does not support that use of the power should be a pretty fucking big deal, I think. I mean, if I went and grabbed someone and hauled them off against their will and locked them up somewhere for a few hours even, I would go to jail for a rather long time. That is a pretty serious crime.

I am not suggesting that this police officer needs to be arrested - rather I suspect this is a training and culture issue. But if this is as bad as it looks, then there is a very serious systemic problem here. We have a police officer, and where there is one, there is almost certainly more, who simply does not understand his role in enforcing the law and how to use the rather considerable power that has been granted to him.

And for everyone we have video of, how many instances of the police abusing their power do we NOT see? And I am not even talking about the obvious, cop beating someone up or something, *major* abuses, but more the little things. Police not being entirely honest in their reports. Demanding that people do things they have no power to demand. Constructing probable cause. Etc., etc.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2011, 03:17:13 PMNo DA is going to touch this, I am guessing.

Possibly not in New York.  But people get arrested for videotaping the police all the time.

QuoteCarlos Miller, a Miami journalist who runs the blog "Photography Is Not a Crime," said he has documented about 10 arrests since he started keeping track in 2007 [through July 2010]. Miller himself has been arrested twice for photographing the police. He won one case on appeal, he said, while the other was thrown out after the officer twice failed to appear in court.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/videotaping-cops-arrest/story?id=11179076
http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

Berkut

Yeah, the legal case in New York seems very cut and dried - the officer has no case at all. He didn't even arrest her for the typical bullshit charge of wiretapping, which is what is normally used in these cases.

Which just doesn't even pass the most basic of sanity checks, btw - the claim that videoing a police officer is "wiretapping" since the police officer has not consented. If that is illegal, does that mean that someone videoing a baseball game is "wiretapping" unless they get permission from every single player, spectator, person walking by? I mean really, how could that ever go anywhere?

Of course, for every time the police actually arrest someone, how many times have they successfully intimidated someone into stopping their recording by simply threatening to arrest them, or even just ordering them to stop, when they have no legal power to do that?

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2011, 03:30:21 PM
Which just doesn't even pass the most basic of sanity checks, btw - the claim that videoing a police officer is "wiretapping" since the police officer has not consented. If that is illegal, does that mean that someone videoing a baseball game is "wiretapping" unless they get permission from every single player, spectator, person walking by? I mean really, how could that ever go anywhere?

In most (could be all, but damned if I'm going to do the research) cases, you have to be secretly recording to qualify as wiretapping (which the person was in the 2006 Massachussetts case).  So if you're obviously holding up your video camera, no problem.

Of course, for every time the police actually arrest someone, how many times have they successfully intimidated someone into stopping their recording by simply threatening to arrest them, or even just ordering them to stop, when they have no legal power to do that?

Slargos

Police are obviously going to have to learn to do their jobs in an environment where there will always be cameras around and little cunts more than willing to use them in order to trip the officers up on some technicality.

If you're always going to be by the book, you'll never get anything done as we have frequently learned from watching cop shows.

You're going to suspend a good cop for tripping on vicodin on the job? I don't think so. He needs to be out there, busting heads and taking down colombian drug lords.

grumbler

Recording, or doing any number of other perfectly legal things that a given cop doesn't like.  Unfortunately, this is the kind of shit that goes along with having a police force; some officers are simply not going to be able to resist abusing their authority in this way - the very people attracted to the job are often attracted because it will give them so much power.  I don't think it is avoidable unless you want to pay cops enough that you can afford to be hyper-choosey about whom you take.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2011, 04:01:23 PM
the very people attracted to the job are often attracted because it will give them so much power.

:lol:

You crack me up.

Go on. Give me a source for this claim.

Capetan Mihali

Is videotaping parole officers (or probation officers, can't remember which one Strix is) a crime?   :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on June 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM

You crack me up.

He can't give you a source, because it's simple common sense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2011, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM

You crack me up.

He can't give you a source, because it's simple common sense.

:lmfao:

I guess we can add another to the list in Marty's dogma thread.

"It is known."

Eddie Teach

People don't generally use a d100 when choosing a career. /shrug

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 22, 2011, 04:07:17 PM
People don't generally use a d100 when choosing a career. /shrug

While we're playing this game, did you know that people often choose to be medical doctors due to the easy access to narcotics?

Eddie Teach

Slargos

Americans often join the army because they want to stack people into naked pyramids.

Jews often join the army just to be allowed to murder arabs without repercussion.