Savvy Decisions: Many Gays Keep One Foot in the Closet

Started by garbon, June 20, 2011, 01:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110620/sc_livescience/savvydecisionsmanygayskeeponefootinthecloset

QuoteFor gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, coming out to friends and family is often seen as a necessary step toward living an authentic life, and studies have shown that being open about one's sexuality may boost mental health. But new research finds that many people are out of the proverbial closet only partially — and that psychologically speaking, such partial disclosure is sometimes a savvy decision.

The research, which surveyed gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals recruited from online message boards, found that most of the volunteers were closeted in at least one area of their lives. Unsurprisingly, the participants hesitated to reveal their sexual identity in environments they judged as controlling and judgmental. About 69 percent said they were not open about their sexuality within their religious communities, for example, compared with only 13 percent who were not out to their friends.

When people did come out in a certain aspect of their lives, the benefits were tempered by how accepting that community was, said study researcher Richard Ryan, a psychologist at the University of Rochester in New York.

"We didn't find any overall negative effect of coming out in controlling environments," Ryan told LiveScience. "Rather, there sometimes was a negligible benefit. ... You got some benefit from not having to conceal, but also you're likely paying some social price."

Picking and choosing

Clinical psychologists have long contended with the fact that revealing one's sexuality is not always safe for lesbian, gay or bisexual individuals, said Ritch Savin-Williams, a Cornell University psychologist who studies sexuality and adolescent development, who was not involved in the study.

"Essentially, gay people are selective," Savin-Williams told LiveScience. "The vast majority don't just say to the world, 'I'm gay, I'm out,' most of us sort of pick and chose as we think it is safe or not safe."

The findings come just as the New York Times magazine highlighted in a June 16 article the push-and-pull of religion and sexuality for people who are gay but committed to evangelical faiths that do not accept homosexuality. In some cases, therapists find themselves in the position of counseling patients on how to stay in the closet in order to preserve their religious support system.

In the new study, an anonymous group of 161 gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals with a median age of 29, completed an online survey, answering questions about who knew about their sexuality and how supported they felt in various contexts. The respondents also answered questions about their mental health.

Friends, family and work

Friends were perceived as the most supportive group and religious organizations the least supportive, but there was variability in how many people were out in other aspects of their lives as well. Half of respondents kept their sexuality secret at school, and 45 percent had not told co-workers. About 36 percent were closeted even among family members.

When coming out in supportive communities, Ryan said, people got an expected mental health boost, showing less depression and higher self-esteem than those who keep their minority sexuality concealed. People who were out in unsupportive communities saw much smaller mental health benefits, Ryan said.

Ryan and his colleagues plan to study the secrecy-stigma trade-off more closely. They're especially interested in finding out what cues people use to decide whether an environment is welcoming or not.

"This shows the importance of creating atmospheres in workplaces and religious communities where people can feel support," Ryan said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quotepeople who are gay but committed to evangelical faiths that do not accept homosexuality

Sigh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2011, 01:57:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110620/sc_livescience/savvydecisionsmanygayskeeponefootinthecloset

QuoteFor gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, coming out to friends and family is often seen as a necessary step toward living an authentic life, and studies have shown that being open about one's sexuality may boost mental health. But new research finds that many people are out of the proverbial closet only partially — and that psychologically speaking, such partial disclosure is sometimes a savvy decision.

The research, which surveyed gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals recruited from online message boards, found that most of the volunteers were closeted in at least one area of their lives. Unsurprisingly, the participants hesitated to reveal their sexual identity in environments they judged as controlling and judgmental. About 69 percent said they were not open about their sexuality within their religious communities, for example, compared with only 13 percent who were not out to their friends.

When people did come out in a certain aspect of their lives, the benefits were tempered by how accepting that community was, said study researcher Richard Ryan, a psychologist at the University of Rochester in New York.

"We didn't find any overall negative effect of coming out in controlling environments," Ryan told LiveScience. "Rather, there sometimes was a negligible benefit. ... You got some benefit from not having to conceal, but also you're likely paying some social price."

Picking and choosing

Clinical psychologists have long contended with the fact that revealing one's sexuality is not always safe for lesbian, gay or bisexual individuals, said Ritch Savin-Williams, a Cornell University psychologist who studies sexuality and adolescent development, who was not involved in the study.

"Essentially, gay people are selective," Savin-Williams told LiveScience. "The vast majority don't just say to the world, 'I'm gay, I'm out,' most of us sort of pick and chose as we think it is safe or not safe."

The findings come just as the New York Times magazine highlighted in a June 16 article the push-and-pull of religion and sexuality for people who are gay but committed to evangelical faiths that do not accept homosexuality. In some cases, therapists find themselves in the position of counseling patients on how to stay in the closet in order to preserve their religious support system.

In the new study, an anonymous group of 161 gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals with a median age of 29, completed an online survey, answering questions about who knew about their sexuality and how supported they felt in various contexts. The respondents also answered questions about their mental health.

Friends, family and work

Friends were perceived as the most supportive group and religious organizations the least supportive, but there was variability in how many people were out in other aspects of their lives as well. Half of respondents kept their sexuality secret at school, and 45 percent had not told co-workers. About 36 percent were closeted even among family members.

When coming out in supportive communities, Ryan said, people got an expected mental health boost, showing less depression and higher self-esteem than those who keep their minority sexuality concealed. People who were out in unsupportive communities saw much smaller mental health benefits, Ryan said.

Ryan and his colleagues plan to study the secrecy-stigma trade-off more closely. They're especially interested in finding out what cues people use to decide whether an environment is welcoming or not.

"This shows the importance of creating atmospheres in workplaces and religious communities where people can feel support," Ryan said.

:yawn:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Well, d'oh.

HVC

Why does everyone need to know anyway? Straight people don't go around saying "hi, my name is bob, i'm straight". Why are gays expected to out themselves?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2011, 02:35:19 PM
Why does everyone need to know anyway? Straight people don't go around saying "hi, my name is bob, i'm straight". Why are gays expected to out themselves?

I think this study is suggesting that they don't. :contract:

Anyway, the likely reason that straight people don't go around saying that is that in most contexts heterosexuality is assumed.  You will find that more common though at pride events/in gay bars. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2011, 02:25:42 PM
:yawn:

If you aren't interested, you don't have to respond. I don't interrupt you with your boring tales of bicycling. :hug:

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2011, 03:19:01 PM

Anyway, the likely reason that straight people don't go around saying that is that in most contexts heterosexuality is assumed.  You will find that more common though at pride events/in gay bars. ;)
True enough. Going to a gay bar (club really) as a straight guy is one of the weirdest experience ever :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2011, 02:35:19 PM

Straight people often do it in ways they do not realize. Talking about chicks, wearing a wedding ring, having pictures of kids on their desk etc.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grallon

Quote from: HVC on June 23, 2011, 08:38:31 AM
True enough. Going to a gay bar (club really) as a straight guy is one of the weirdest experience ever :D

How does it feel to be sized up like you were on the menu?  A behavior guys know well for doing it with females all the time.  ;)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

HVC

Quote from: Grallon on June 23, 2011, 09:21:30 AM

How does it feel to be sized up like you were on the menu?  A behavior guys know well for doing it with females all the time.  ;)

G.
both flattering and very off putting :lol: I also got yelled at by a lesbian once, much to the amusement of my friend.

garbon

G.

It has been funny watching all the heads of straight males turn, now that women have adopted their summer clothing in the city. :)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2011, 09:43:57 AM

G.

It has been funny watching all the heads of straight males turn, now that women have adopted their summer clothing in the city. :)

Which of course is the primary reason they dress like that.

I'm continually amazed by the number of attractive women in their 20s who work in downtown Cincy.  I guess downtown ain't as dead as people say, at least not during the day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2011, 10:35:58 AM
Which of course is the primary reason they dress like that.

Oh, of course. Although I wouldn't discount the heat factor, as well. :)