Main Menu

The morality of using mercenaries

Started by Siege, June 19, 2011, 01:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Tonitrus

Neil

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 02:26:34 PM
And then, surrendering to the kind of foes we are fighting these days is not really an option.
You are dead either way, so better to go down fighting than being beheaded on Al-Jazeera.
Indeed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
What is the UN trying to do in Lybia?

Who are you talking about?  Who is the UN?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2011, 03:30:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 19, 2011, 02:43:59 AM
Mercs have the bad reputation in the west because they are considered unreliable, i.e. never willing to fight to the death.
I don't think many professional soldiers in Western armies are willing to fight to the death either.

Stop being stupid Marty.  Every solider who is going into a combat zone knows he or she may be killed in fighting.  They would prefer not to be killed or wounded, but they accept the fact that it may happen to them.  This is very much the willingness to die while fighting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

And then, surrendering to the kind of foes we are fighting these days is not really an option.
You are dead either way, so better to go down fighting than being beheaded on Al-Jazeera.

How do you guys deal with the possibility of capture?  I imagine every soldier knows what happens to American soldiers in the hands of the insurgents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2011, 04:37:36 PM

How do you guys deal with the possibility of capture?  I imagine every soldier knows what happens to American soldiers in the hands of the insurgents.

Very simple. There is no possibility of capture.
Every time we run into combat is victory or death.
There is no middle ground.

But then, there is always the possibility that you might get wounded badly, fall incouncious, while being overrun by enemy combatants.
If that happens to me and I wake up in their hands about to be beheaded in front of a video camera, I shall go down blaspheming islam and calling for other western men to pick up my gun and continue fighting the endless war.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
There can only be peace defeating either Kaddafi or the rebels.
What is the UN trying to do in Lybia? Keeping the current frontlines fixed?
If the goal is to take out Kaddafi, and since none of the countries involved are willing to employ their own ground forces, why not outsource the campaign?

I guaranty you it would be cheaper and quicker.
There are already mercenaries on the ground fighting for Kaddafi.  And the Rebels also employ foreign mercenaries.  What more do you want?  Sending mercenaries with a US banner?

First of all, it would be illegal unless approved by the Congress, I'm pretty sure.
Second, mercenaries are unereliable for general combat operations.  If they were reliable, Afghanistan and Irak would have been pacified long ago.

Mercenaries are good for a very precise operation, clearly defined in its mandate and time.  Protect person X from airport to hotel for the duration of the stay.  Rescue captured prisoner in some place and bring him/her back to extraction point.

Using mercenaries to "depose a dictator" is way too complex.  They need coordination with the Rebels and with the NATO command, they need to be held accountable for their actions if they overstep their boundaries (like killing civilians) and they need to be accepted by everyone else fighting there.

Besides, I believe the examples of Iraq and Afghanistan have proven they are not only less effective than regular troops but also cost more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2011, 03:30:26 AM
I don't think many professional soldiers in Western armies are willing to fight to the death either.

Define "western armies".
All infantrymen I have served with have always been aware that the might come a day when you have to fight to the bitter end.
The "fight to the death" is not a choice you make, but a choice that is forced on you.
It is ussually a combination of the enemy being more resorceful than ussual and your chain of command understimating the enemy capabilities and concentration of force and materiel.

What you say is true, but you have to understand that many non-Westerners are as confused as Marti as to what motivates soldiers in the West.  Non-Western armies like Poland's have lots of conscripts who are coming from a society that is backward enough that the soldiers aren't able to contemplate abstract concepts like consequences of actions, so they readily surrender because that seems the thing to do at the moment.  There couldn't be a Polish Shughart or Gordon because to be a Shughart or Gordon would require abstract thinking skills.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

You know, I actually wonder how soldiers are viewed in Eastern Europe.  For decades soldiers were conscripts expected to serve a regime that oppressed their own people.  However, today soldiers are no longer expected to die invading the West or shoot at democracy protesters.

The Brain

Eastern Europe isn't worth thinking about.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2011, 03:28:38 AM
I don't think it is immoral or illegal to use mercenaries per se, but I'm pretty sure Western democratic governments have laws against outsourcing government functions and services to people with a criminal record or who committed crimes - and a strong presumption for any established mercenary band is that they did commit crimes in the past (e.g. when serving dictators and the like).

Of course, Western democracies also have a presumption of innocent until proven guilty.

Viking

Quote from: dps on June 20, 2011, 01:16:58 PM
I don't think it is immoral or illegal to use mercenaries per se, but I'm pretty sure Western democratic governments have laws against outsourcing government functions and services to people with a criminal record or who committed crimes - and a strong presumption for any established mercenary band is that they did commit crimes in the past (e.g. when serving dictators and the like).

Of course, Western democracies also have a presumption of innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, but do remember, the Western democracy itself is presumed guilty until it does something else it is presumed guilty of.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on June 20, 2011, 01:16:58 PM

But only Western democracies.  Don't hold Marti to our standards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!