Good, cheap, customizable database program?

Started by Syt, June 18, 2011, 06:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

What the program should be able to do:

- customize/define what fields I want to capture
- is possible, have different categories of data sets in one database (e.g. people, places, organizations ...)
- allow to crossreference/tag entries

I know I could do all that in Excel, but I don't find Excel works well for administrating data beyond a certain size.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

http://www.firebirdsql.org/

Firebird is open source and if not fantastic, at least relatively useful.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2011, 06:30:29 AM

- is possible, have different categories of data sets in one database (e.g. people, places, organizations ...)

I know I could do all that in Excel, but I don't find Excel works well for administrating data beyond a certain size.
Access + http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

If you don't have Access in your Office version, it can be bought for a decent price, seperated from the rest, if you dig a little.

Of your could use LibreOffice's database with Microsoft SQL Server Express.  100% free.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2011, 09:37:01 AM

If you don't have Access in your Office version, it can be bought for a decent price, seperated from the rest, if you dig a little.

Of your could use LibreOffice's database with Microsoft SQL Server Express.  100% free.
Installing a server that needs half a gig of RAM all the time and makes Windows start up slower is a bit over the top when all you need is a simple desktop database.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zanza on June 20, 2011, 10:58:40 AM

Installing a server that needs half a gig of RAM all the time and makes Windows start up slower is a bit over the top when all you need is a simple desktop database.

It's still cheap tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on June 20, 2011, 10:58:40 AM

That's what I use at the office.  It's slower in Vista, ok in Win7 64bit with 8gb ram.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 20, 2011, 11:01:07 AM
It's still cheap tho.
If that's your main concern, PostgreSQL is much better. Not to mention a LOT more capable.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Iormlund on June 21, 2011, 12:43:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 20, 2011, 11:01:07 AM
It's still cheap tho.
If that's your main concern, PostgreSQL is much better. Not to mention a LOT more capable.

Yes. Not that I know the program, just that I've seem to be much in love with open source software nowadays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.