Jewish court sentences dog to death by stoning for being a reincarnated lawyer

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2011, 10:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Since when did Rabbis believe in reincarnation?

Secondly, even if it was the reincarnation of that guy this is an unbelievably petty judgement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110617/od_afp/israeltrialreligionanimalsoffbeat_20110617180031
QuoteJERUSALEM (AFP) – A Jerusalem rabbinical court condemned to death by stoning a dog it suspects is the reincarnation of a secular lawyer who insulted the court's judges 20 years ago, Ynet website reported Friday.

According to Ynet, the large dog made its way into the Monetary Affairs Court in the ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighbourhood of Mea Shearim in Jerusalem, frightening judges and plaintiffs.

Despite attempts to drive the dog out of the court, the hound refused to leave the premises.

One of the sitting judges then recalled a curse the court had passed down upon a secular lawyer who had insulted the judges two decades previously.

Their preferred divine retribution was for the lawyer's spirit to move into the body of a dog, an animal considered impure by traditional Judaism.

Clearly still offended, one of the judges sentenced the animal to death by stoning by local children.

The canine target, however, managed to escape.

"Let the Animals Live", an animal-welfare organisation filed a complaint with the police against the head of the court, Rabbi Avraham Dov Levin, who denied that the judges had called for the dog's stoning, Ynet reported.

One of the court's managers, however, confirmed the report of the lapidation sentence to Israeli daily Yediot Aharonot.

"It was ordered... as an appropriate way to 'get back at' the spirit which entered the poor dog," the paper reported the manager as saying, according to Ynet.

Certain schools of thought within Judaism believe in the transmigration of souls, or reincarnation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Besides the fact that the rabbis in question are nut jobs, the article you quoted answers your question on reincarnation.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 17, 2011, 10:32:09 PM
Besides the fact that the rabbis in question are nut jobs, the article you quoted answers your question on reincarnation.
"certain schools of thought" is rather vague.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2011, 10:42:02 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 17, 2011, 10:32:09 PM
"certain schools of thought" is rather vague.

Being that the article specifically refers to specific people at a specific location from what apparently must be of a "certain school of thought" (and seem to be Jewish, of a sort, as well) that believe this dude was reincarnated as a dog, I'd say it's not rather vague at all.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Yes, these people are perfectly fine. They are just like us. Nothing to see here.

Martinus

Countdown for Joan Robinson to come and tell us why stoning a dog to death is no worse than taking it out for a walk, as a dog can run away and get run over by a bus while on a walk, and someone stoning a dog may miss.

Slargos

He has enough useful idiots here that he doesn't have to do it himself.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

I wonder if considering these people Jewish is a bit like considering Mormons Christian. Reincarnation, eh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2011, 03:32:45 AM
Countdown for Joan Robinson to come and tell us why stoning a dog to death is no worse than taking it out for a walk, as a dog can run away and get run over by a bus while on a walk, and someone stoning a dog may miss.

<joan>Ninja Rabbi stoning is just as nice as Bill Maher stoning</joan>
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

He doesn't normally post on weekends.  And no, I'm not going to defend the guy, even though he's really more my type of person.  You know, a crazy person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Personally I dont see anything crazier about this than "We have to slowly bleed animals to death because a Sky Fairy told us so 1500 years ago."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2011, 05:07:41 AM
Personally I dont see anything crazier about this than "We have to slowly bleed animals to death because a Sky Fairy told us so 1500 years ago."

That's okay, I don't see any difference between rabid atheists like you, and the rabid atheists that ran your country 30 years ago.  Except the older ones were smarter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017