Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on September 06, 2011, 05:07:31 PM
Finished it in two days.  Amazing.
Is it really short, or did you just play it nonstop? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

That is amazing.  But not in the good way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2011, 05:35:22 PM
Is it really short, or did you just play it nonstop? :huh:
Nonstop. Steam says 26 hours in 2 days.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Don`t you eat or...have a job or anything? Wow.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Hipsters can survive on Trader Joe's beer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

From the Zero punctuation review I got the impression that it was very short.  Probably because a lot of content was cut out and put in DLC. :glare:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

I finished the PS3 version in five days.

The first level and the succeeding 'hub' missions set in Detroit are generally pretty good and well-played out, with several different avenues of approach. This multiplicity of approaches is apparent throughout the game and can make each play-through distinct and interesting.

The boss battles are abrupt and you don't get any warning before hand that you're about to enter into one. A cut-scene will play automatically and bam, you're off fighting Augmented Yosemite Sam or Obligatory Anime Chick. These battles are pretty tough if you don't know what you're doing. I died about ten times on the first boss before I gave up, checked some forums, and decided to cheese him by throwing explosive canisters and barrels at him. Killed him in about 30 seconds. The other bosses are just as silly, but by the time you meet them you're pretty well-versed with the controls and the gameplay and they're much easier to deal with.

The rest of the game after the Detroit hub plays similarly to the original Deus Ex as you're going around the world to fight X dudes because of Y evidence found in Z conversation with an NPC. Pretty standard stuff. If the plot devices feel a little too convenient, that's because they deliberately are so. It's all conspiracythis and influencing whathisface and finding the truth blah blah blah. Conspiracy buffs will love it I guess. They throw in some basic philosophizing about nature of humanity and the ethics of augmentation. Some people will eat this stuff up; as for me, I just want to split some guy's chest open with my arm blades. Which I did, a lot. 

The RPG aspect of the game is really simple. Do stuff and gain XP -- and virtually everything you do gains you XP -- to level up. Once you level you get a Praxis Point which you can use to activate a new ability. Simple but effective.

The gunplay is arcadey. No surprises there. I generally favored close combat take downs, either by knocking a guy out or rupturing his aorta with my arm blades. Also, the revolver is badass with the explosive rounds mod. Get it ASAP.

The game was okay. Nothing earth-shattering, but it is a decent and quality successor to the original. If you loved the original Deus Ex, you'll like this. If not, depending on your taste in video games you might want to wait for a sale.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

And this a a pretty accurate representation of what happens in the game  :D http://youtu.be/0l3wOT9cSg4
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

I'm thinking of getting this but I just can't make up my mind.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2011, 11:22:59 PM
And this a a pretty accurate representation of what happens in the game  :D http://youtu.be/0l3wOT9cSg4

I don't know shit about this game, but watching some guy waltz through the game throwing a vending machine at his enemies brought a smile to my face. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2011, 10:06:19 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 10, 2011, 11:22:59 PM

I don't know shit about this game, but watching some guy waltz through the game throwing a vending machine at his enemies brought a smile to my face. :)
:lol: :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".