News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tropico 3

Started by Zoupa, June 16, 2011, 10:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

I installed this the other day. Framerates are terrible :( My comp is only 2 years old, wtf.

Also, how the hell do you make money, and why does constructing ANYTHING take so long.

Habbaku

No idea why your framerates are terrible.  My machine is way older than yours and I play it without much of a problem, albeit with the graphics set relatively low.

Making money is easy.  First, figure out what natural resources you have (timber, ore, farmland) and start building some manual labor buildings.  Farms are great for starting cash but you have to be patient for them to work and build a few of the more expensive sorts.  After you have a decent amount saved up, start building factories that will take advantage of whatever resource you're cranking out (though you'll need highschool grads to man the factories) and you'll start to roll in the dough.  After that...it's all about diversification and expanding what you already have.  Keep in mind that metals eventually run out, so only use mines and oil for short-term cash to build permanent earners.

As for construction, I almost always build a second construction site immediately and a third later on.  You should also make sure you always have garages around the island as that will greatly speed up travel time for the builders.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pedrito

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2011, 10:04:10 PM
Also, how the hell do you make money, and why does constructing ANYTHING take so long.

Have you ever seen a Jamaican hurry to work?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Slargos

Pedrito

Quote from: Slargos on June 17, 2011, 03:55:31 AM
omg raciss :mad:
5 minutes 42 seconds.

Too much time to react, Slargie.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Liep

What ever happened to Tropico 2?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on June 17, 2011, 04:15:45 AM
What ever happened to Tropico 2?

I believe it was set in a pirate world or something like that.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Caliga

Yeah, I heard that it sucked.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2011, 06:53:25 AM
Yeah, I heard that it sucked.

Which is incredible, because going from playing mud people in a completely undeveloped country whose main exports is pig manure and prostitutes, to playing Pirates must be almost impossible to fail at.

Ed Anger

IIRC, a bunch of cash crop farms like tobacco will give you a steady export income. Get a cigar factory up or rum distillery and you'll roll in the cash.

Unless they patched that out.

And yes, the pirate version sucks. BORING.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Tropico 2 was alright, not as good as the first one, totally different, but decent in its own way.
3 was pretty good too though....I dunno, the scale is just wrong, doesn't feel like you're actually running a country. Or even a city.

Tropico 4 is due soon....
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Tropicans can be frustratingly illogical sometimes.  Once I had to have 5 presidential candidates shot before I went up against a candidate I could beat.  Do they really think that having me spend money on assassins would make it easier for me to improve their living standards?  Why can't they just declare their loyalty to me and let me spend my money on the industry that would give them jobs?

Caliga

Every year or two I look at the faction data, and any faction that doesn't like me finds its leader having an unfortunate accident. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2011, 09:15:40 AM
Every year or two I look at the faction data, and any faction that doesn't like me finds its leader having an unfortunate accident. :)
Sometimes I eliminate entire factions, if they're small and implacable.  I also regularly go through the ranks of soldiers and generals, and make sure that traitors that wouldn't vote for me don't stick around.  I can't always kill them, you need money for that, but I can fire them.  Coups are much more dangerous than rebellions.

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2011, 07:50:15 AM
Tropico 4 is due soon....

When one of the advertised features is Facebook/Twitter integration you know it's not going to be good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk