News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Don't like agreeing with Libertarians (especially when they go on about Reason like they are the only reasonable people in the world), but Weijun made a fairly good point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 08:55:47 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2011, 08:21:47 AM

I could understand how that would be a narrative that you would like to believe in, but I'm not sure I buy it.  For one thing, there isn't a serious person on the face of the earth who would consider animals to be a part of 'us'.  And then there's the fact that the progress of civilization has made things much worse for animals as a group, and that the spread of 'empathy' is by no means uniform, and that even a country that has the most elaborate animal cruelty laws in the world can engage in the industrialized slaughter of humans.

Also, I'm noting that the explosion of the animal rights movement in North America came about the same time as the kids who watched Bambi in theatres were going to college.  The old movement was an elitist philosophical movement going back to the Enlightenment, whereas the new movement was democratized and based on unthinking emotion.

I think the emotion thing is the major thing.  I used the example of Fish.  Few people wish to outlaw hook and line fishing, or catch and release which are needlessly painful to the animal (and yes, fish do feel pain).  Why cattle and not fish?  Cause fish look more alien then a cow.  It's easier to identify with a mammal then it is a fish.  It's not logical, or reasonable, or scientific.  It's just as irrational as those worshipers of a "bronze age desert fairies".  Perhaps more so, since those raving on about bronze age torturers have deluded themselves into thinking they are in fact reasonable.  The bronze age torturers typically have no such illusions.

Dolphins and whales don't look particularly familiar and yet there are many people who are concerned about them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

People liked Flipper and Free Willie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 12:27:20 PM

While that might help with your emotion argument, it doesn't really gel well with the rest your post about familiarity/identification.  People liked Finding Nemo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2011, 12:17:08 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 24, 2011, 08:30:51 AM
However, I don't need to see Bambi to know that torturing animals is "wrong"
No you don't.  The only thing you needed to know was what Hermann Goering thought about it.

Göring was a filthy traitor.  :mad:

Slargos

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on June 24, 2011, 02:41:15 PM
No you don't.  The only thing you needed to know was what Hermann Goering thought about it.

Of course.  They were all traitors, they tried to overthrow the government in the early 1920's.

dps

Quote from: Slargos on June 24, 2011, 08:22:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 07:50:31 AM
What do they teach you people in school?

To think.

Obviously, they didn't do a very good job.

QuoteHowever, I don't need to see Bambi to know that torturing animals is "wrong" and I doubt it has ever been socially acceptable to any meaningful degree.

Nor did they do a very good job, apparantly, of providing you with factual knowledge.  Had they done so, you would know about things like bear-baiting and cock-fighting, things that were considered perfectly acceptable back in the day.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 12:27:20 PM

Quote from: garbon
While that might help with your emotion argument, it doesn't really gel well with the rest your post about familiarity/identification.  People liked Finding Nemo.

Perhaps more to the point, dolphins and whales are mammals.

garbon

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 03:14:46 PM

Irrelevant though. Are you honestly trying to say that people have emotional reactions for whales and dolphins but not fish because we all have mammary glands? :yeahright:

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2011, 03:24:50 PM
Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 03:14:46 PM

Irrelevant though. Are you honestly trying to say that people have emotional reactions for whales and dolphins but not fish because we all have mammary glands? :yeahright:

Well, when you put it that way, no.

Anyway, a lot of people think that dolphins and whales are fish.

Neil

What would make you say that?  He was loyal to his government to the end.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2011, 03:57:04 PM

His betrayal was spiritual. His excessive indulgence in narcotics and general incompetence cost the Cause greatly.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 02:42:39 PM

Of course.  They were all traitors, they tried to overthrow the government in the early 1920's.

Some were Homos.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on June 24, 2011, 04:04:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 24, 2011, 03:57:04 PM
His betrayal was spiritual. His excessive indulgence in narcotics and general incompetence cost the Cause greatly.
Not especially.  I mean, I suppose he can be faulted for not deposing Hitler.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.